We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bummed about the rain

Which Newport hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
reviews: 124
Bummed about the rain

My husband and I are supposed to come to Newport on Monday for 2 nights to celebrate our anniversary. I see from www.accuweather.com that you guys are having very similar weather to us in the Boston area. It's showing thunderstorms for next week and we are debating whether we still want to come or not. We have to decide tonight in order to get our money back if we do cancel. I've never been to Newport and was really looking forward to it. I think most things we'd want to do are outside. What are your thoughts? Should we just come later in the summer?

Newport, Rhode...
Destination Expert
for Newport, Providence
reviews: 4
1. Re: Bummed about the rain

I wouldn't put too much stock in the forecast that far out....they've been calling for scattered showers all this week, and other than a few passing showers it's been nice....a little humid, but not a rain-out.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
reviews: 71
2. Re: Bummed about the rain

There is plenty to do for 3 days even if it rained non-stop, which it won't. Just have an umbrella with you and you should be all set. I would only cancel if my plans called for 3 days on the beach.

Northeast us
3. Re: Bummed about the rain

"Should we just come later in the summer?" It's just as likely or maybe even more that it will rain then too. Like Lauryc said, don't count on a beach weekend, but plenty to do otherwise and there are lots of romantic spots to celebrate.

If you're in the Boston area, you're so close that you can easily go again off season to see whatever you don't get to

Texas
reviews: 81
4. Re: Bummed about the rain

Me too! We are here now and having a good time but so wish we could see blues skies and blue water. Boo!

Was planning a harbor cruise today but may have to scrap it. Any suggestions out there?

We are going to The Breakers and The Elms after our late (for us) breakfast this morning and will try to walk The Cliff Walk afterwards.

Edited: 10:00 am, June 29, 2013
Boston...
reviews: 124
5. Re: Bummed about the rain

Hi Teacher!!! Dh and I decided to scrap the trip unfortunately. I just can't justify spending almost $600 for two nights in the possible rain. We live so close we can just do a day trip another time this summer. I hope you guys have fun and the sun comes out for you.

Texas
reviews: 81
6. Re: Bummed about the rain

The sun did come out for us! It's a gorgeous day and we are taking advantage of our good fortune. I will detail in my trip report when I get home! :-)

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
reviews: 71
7. Re: Bummed about the rain

I know it's a cliche but if you don't like our weather just wait a few minutes.

One thing about this humid thunderstorm weather is that it usually rains late, after 4pm and often at night. So doing nice weather stuff earlier in the day maybe a safer bet than sunset. On the other hand clouds can make for a really spectacular sunset. .

Sine I'm NOT on vacation I have to take advantage of this nice weather turn by mowing our lawn, which absolutely loves hot humid weather.

Boston...
reviews: 2
8. Re: Bummed about the rain

Hi Teacher.

Yes, I'm not far from Newport and the weather has been great most of the day.

Jamestown, Rhode...
reviews: 4
9. Re: Bummed about the rain

I'm pretty sure everyone in New England and beyond has been in and out of clouds today. Just so you know, it usually isn't like this in late June.

cape cod
10. Re: Bummed about the rain

Bmoruzzi, the weather has been a pain lately! Happy anniversary,

Glad you'll be able to reschedule. :)

Edited: 10:54 pm, June 29, 2013