We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newport Trip Report- 6/22

Which Newport hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Miami, Florida
reviews: 3
Newport Trip Report- 6/22

My husband and I did a day trip to Newport while on a weekend in New England. Our hotel was in Providence. I decided to share my trip report, since they were so helpful in my planning. My report is long- so hopefully you can get through it!

After eating leftover pizza for breakfast at our hotel, we headed down to Newport. What a beautiful town! We started at the visitors center. This was a good idea, because we were able to get a bit of an orientation on what to do complete with maps and brochures. We knew we wanted to see the mansions, so we finally decided to buy "The Breakers plus 1" ticket.

We chose Marble House as our plus 1 and it was a great choice. It was a self guided audio tour, which was easy to follow and let you tour at your own pace. The mansion is amazing and it gives a glimpse as to what life when it was first built.

After this tour we thought we would see the beach and do the cliff walk, we drove to the beach and found that parking was $20. We decided against it since we knew we wouldn't be there that long. We drove around and found free parking on Narragansett street. We started the cliff walk from there. The views from this walk are amazing. With a bit of a cool breeze in the air it was very nice. We inadvertently made our way to The Breakers, as the cliff walk is closed after that due to Hurricane Sandy.

The Breakers tour was also a self guided audio tour. This mansion is breathtaking. On a side note- you are not allowed to photograph or videotape inside these mansions, but they have postcards in the gift shop with pictures of some of the rooms for only $0.45. I love taking pictures so this made me feel better. I felt both mansions complemented each other, since they were both owned by different members of the Vanderbilt family. I was happy with our choice. By now we were starving, but decided to skip lunch (it was about 3-4) so we bought some snacks in the gift shop and enjoyed them on a bench, under a tree overlooking the gardens.

From here we drove the scenic ocean drive and made our way to Thames Street. We were able to find metered parking in front of the Marriott Wharf and spent about $3 for 3 hours of parking. We walked over by the pier and found The Lobster Bar. What a fabulous place! You walk in and you see the tanks of fresh seafood and the employees unloading the days catch. We got a table right on the water and watched the yachts. We both ordered the New England Clam Chowder for appetizer and then we got steamed clams and crab artichoke dip as our dinner, along with 2 specialty drinks. It was delicious! The cost was about $70. From there we walked around town going in and out of the little souvenir shops along the way.

Then it was back to our hotel in Providence where we ended the night with a swim in the pool and a dip in the hot tub. I fell in love with Newport and will definitely be back.

Texas
reviews: 81
1. Re: Newport Trip Report- 6/22

Hey Mari,

I'm so glad you wrote a Newport trip report to go with your Boston trip report. Newport trip reports seem to be in VERY short supply!

I love your descriptions of The Lobster Bar. The Mr. & I may have to try it for lunch one day. We have been craving lobster rolls since our 2008 visit to Boston.

Quick question - Did you get your "Breakers plus 1" tour tickets at the Visitor's Center?

The Mr. & I will be in Newport in just two short days. After months of planning, we are sooo ready to go!

Thanks again for writing up your day. You did a lot of what we plan to do! :D

Miami, Florida
2. Re: Newport Trip Report- 6/22

I'm glad you found my trip report helpful. I love reading them and like you said there aren't many for Newport.

We did buy our pass for the Mansions at the visitors center. I think it helped us get oriented by heading there first.

Newport is absolutely beautiful. I would love to go back with my girls and explore more of the mansions.

I hope you have a great trip!!

Edited: 9:58 pm, June 25, 2013
North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
reviews: 116
3. Re: Newport Trip Report- 6/22

Yet another nice detailed report! I find it interesting how you put your trip together using Providence as your base. There's one more day in Boston, right? :) Maybe when you're all done, you can include links in each report to the other reports. That will give future visitors a better idea of your jaunt around southern New England. Thanks for all the reports!

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
reviews: 71
4. Re: Newport Trip Report- 6/22

Mari,

I loved your trip report! Thanks so much for taking the time to write it. I love seeing Newport through a visitor's eyes and will consider your comments when advising others. I completely agree with your decision to forgo the $20 per day parking fee for the beach!!!!

Lauryc

Miami, Florida
5. Re: Newport Trip Report- 6/22

Route, my 2nd day in Boston posted at the beginning of the thread for some reason. I'm still pretty new at using the forums so still trying to figure out what I'm doing. I'm going to try to post the links. :) thank you for taking the time to read my reports.

Providence was the perfect base for what we wanted to do because it was in the middle. I was a little worried that it would be too far, but it worked out great!

Lauryc, thanks for your comments! You live in a beautiful state!

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
reviews: 116
6. Re: Newport Trip Report- 6/22

Mari, I see the last day on your Boston report and (now) remember reading it earlier. I guess I just wanted one more day--and perhaps you did too! ;-) No worries about being new. Your reports are terrific! If you need help on a post with the links, just ask.

New York, New York...
reviews: 218
7. Re: Newport Trip Report- 6/22

Mari,

Thank you very much for your detailed trip report. The Mrs and I are headed up to Newport this summer for three days and were trying to get a detailed itinerary put together so we can utilize every minute we have in Newport. We've both been to Newport before (The Breakers were the one mansion we visited) and we wanted to get in at least two other mansions plus Hunter House and the Touro Synagogue. If anyone has suggestions which mansions to visit or any any other helpful advice, it would be most welcome.

Thanks!

Miami, Florida
8. Re: Newport Trip Report- 6/22

We did the Marble House which was fantastic. I don't know about any of the other ones, so there might be better ones, but we really enjoyed it.

Boston...
reviews: 2
9. Re: Newport Trip Report- 6/22

Great report!!! I've been going to Newport for years and never thought about going to the visitor center.

The marble mansion is my favorite.

Thanks

10. Re: Newport Trip Report- 6/22

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 06, 2014