We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Other nearby towns worth visiting?

Which Newport hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Gibbstown, New...
reviews: 60
Other nearby towns worth visiting?

My husband and I will be in Newport in the fall celebrating our 5 year anniversary. We've traveled to Newport once before and absolutely loved it. We did a day trip to Providence during that trip as well, but preferred the calmness of Newport. I was just wondering if the other nearby towns are worth a visit- like Jamestown, Tiverton, and Bristol? We'll be in Newport for one week.

Thanks for your help!

7 replies to this topic
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
reviews: 62
1. Re: Other nearby towns worth visiting?

Hi Gastroc,

If you like calm, you'll love Little Compton. It's a scenic 40 minute or so ride from Newport. Driving up Aquidneck Island on 138 or 114 is the only downside of this side trip, but it's soon over, you cross the Sakonnet Bridge and head down 77/177 (south). The further you go, the more beautiful it gets. Lots of farm stands along the way. You can stop at Gray's Ice Cream at Tiverton 4 Corners for coffee ice cream or a coffee cabinet (other flavors available, although most RIers have no idea why), Carolyn's Sakonnet Vineyard for a wine tasting (definitely worth the stop). Take a left on Swamp Rd and aright on South Shore Rd to South Shore Beach. It's pricey, I think $20 week days, but worth it. You park right above the sand. A few steps and you are there. Then walk the beach to the west, to Goosewing, a farm that sweeps down to a beach on the sea. It's the last one left in RI, maybe in New England, and it's beautiful. I think this is the most gorgeous walking beach in the state.

Naturally you may want to adjust the itinerary. Not many people want coffee ice cream or wine for breakfast! And definitely not together.

On the way back follow the signs to the Commons. It's the most perfect little New England village. Commons Lunch is a nice place to stop for lunch. Heading back to 77/177 the pizza place is a good place for "grinders" (hoagies maybe to you).

Another great quiet place is Jamestown, right across the East Passage from Newport. You can take the Jamestown/Newport Ferry there, for $18 round trip, with stops at Rose Island Light, Fort Adams and a couple along the Newport Harbor-front as well. I love breakfast at Slice of Heaven on Narragansett Ave. The Gran Marnier French Toast is amazing, as are the breakfast burritos. They have nice sandwiches for lunch. There are many other places to eat there. I think Trattatoria Sympatico is one of the most romantic restaurants in RI. If you opt to drive to Jamestown you can visit Ft Wetherill and Beavertail State Park. Both are worth a visit. Beavertail has new lighthouse museum that looks very compelling, although I haven't visited it yet.

Bristol is a very nice town, also. I've usually gone there for the July 4th celebration. I'm not as familiar so I will let someone else point out it's must-sees.

Gibbstown, New...
reviews: 60
2. Re: Other nearby towns worth visiting?

Thanks so much for your reply!

Northeast us
3. Re: Other nearby towns worth visiting?

Bristol is great! Nice small walkable "downtown" with cute shops and really good restaurants, There's a kayak rental place too.Also Blithewold Manson and Gardens, Linden Place, and the America's Cup museum, too,. On the way to or from Newport you can stop at Green Animals Topiary in Portsmouth

TIverton and Jamestown are beautiful scenery and good for driving, Bristol is a small scale town for walking.

Massachusetts
4. Re: Other nearby towns worth visiting?

Unfortunately Gray's Ice Cream has closed. Boo Hoo. It was always a fav of mine.

Newport, Rhode...
Destination Expert
for Newport, Providence
reviews: 4
5. Re: Other nearby towns worth visiting?

Gray's is still open.....

Jamestown, Rhode...
reviews: 4
6. Re: Other nearby towns worth visiting?

I don't think Gray's will ever close. You were probably thinking of Gray's General Store, a different place.

MA
reviews: 176
7. Re: Other nearby towns worth visiting?

Little Compton is a great choice. The town does slow down considerably after Labor Day though. One other stop is Sakonnet Vineyards. It is on the way into town.

To add to Bristol, that is another great choice. Make sure you take time to visit Colt State Park. It is beautiful and great for walking along Narragansett Bay, picnics, bike riding, frisbee playing, etc... Also, some 'go-to's' in Bristol: for casual seafood: Quito's. For high end dining: DeWolf's or Redlefsen's . Right along the bay, there is a bike path, and this follows right along the water near Quito's and further on. Great to stroll to work off dinner.

Reply to: Other nearby towns worth visiting?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted