We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Decent priced lodging walking distance to Salve Regina Univ

Which Newport hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
Decent priced lodging walking distance to Salve Regina Univ

I'll be in Newport at the beginning of August for a week for a conference at Salve Regina. Can somebody recommend a place to stay around $200 a night? A lot of the places downtown are either booked already or $350 and up a night. I am traveling with my husband and my kid and I would like to be able to walk to Salve Regina so they can have the car during the day. I am looking at the Comfort Inn in Middletown. Google map says it's a 40 min walk. The distance does not scare me, but I wonder if it's safe to walk (are there any sidewalks, heavy traffic?)

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!

Jamestown, Rhode...
reviews: 4
1. Re: Decent priced lodging walking distance to Salve Regina Univ

You'd just have to cross a main road, like anyone staying at the hotel would to get to the beach. You could walk on or along the beach and then Cliff Walk to get to Salve, in fact that would be the most straightforward route. Can't get much better than that, especially nice in the a.m. Or walk through the lovely neighborhoods.

Edited: 11:12 am, May 01, 2013
Philadelphia...
2. Re: Decent priced lodging walking distance to Salve Regina Univ

Thanks so much for your reply!

From what I see on google map I would have to walk along Memorial Blvd to get to the Cliff Walk. Is that right, or are there satellite small roads along the beach? I'd love to walk on the beach in the morning, but getting to the seminars with my shoes full of sand might not be considered academic behavior :). And another question, maybe silly for Newport, but still a worry for me: is it safe to walk by myself early in the morning?

Newport, Rhode...
Destination Expert
for Newport, Providence
reviews: 4
3. Re: Decent priced lodging walking distance to Salve Regina Univ

Yes it's safe to walk in the morning along that route....I would cross the street at the crosswalk near your hotel, and walk along the beach side of Memorial Blvd....you'll see that it's much wider and you can walk a portion along a sidewalk right at the beach so you can get the effect without sand in your shoes....or, bring a bag, put your shoes in it and get your feet wet for part of the walk. Then, continue up the hill to the start of the Cliff Walk to the backside of Slave.....there will be lots of walkers in the morning (weather permitting)

I wish I had a commute like that some days..

Edited: 5:36 pm, May 01, 2013
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
reviews: 71
4. Re: Decent priced lodging walking distance to Salve Regina Univ

I've stayed at that hotel for a wedding, and it was very clean and comfortable. Breakfast was nice! The walk should be beautiful, weather permitting. Bear in mind New England weather is very changeable... could be anything from a heat wave to a hurricane. But it would also be a 2 minute ride for your hubby to drop you off and return to the hotel. But a nice, safe walk weather permitting.

5. Re: Decent priced lodging walking distance to Salve Regina Univ

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, May 04, 2014