We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help planning anniversary trip

Which Newport hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NYC
reviews: 6
Help planning anniversary trip

My husband and I are trying to plan an affordable weekend getaway within driving distance of NYC for our first wedding anniversary at the end of June. We thought Newport would be a lovely trip- however we're on a somewhat tight budget and would like to cap our hotel at $150-$175 a night. Is that doable for Newport, particularly at the end of June? We are by no means looking for someplace fancy or extravagant, but being as it will be our anniversary, we're looking for something nicer than say, a Best Western. We're definitely open to B&B's, vacation rentals, etc.

If this doesn't sound doable for Newport, are there any other cute, quaint towns in the area that might be a little more affordable?

Any tips or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
reviews: 71
1. Re: Help planning anniversary trip

Try airbnb.com

I used it to book a trip to Charleston, SC, for about half what we were going to spend on hotels. Haven't gone yet.. hope it's as good as it looks!

End of June is the start high season. Not only will it be expensive but there will usually be 2 or 3 night minimums. You might be able to score a last-minute deal as some places try to fill empty rooms.

Other cute, quaint towns would be Wickford, Bristol and Little Compton. I can't think of anyplace along the southern coast that would be considered cute, quaint or upgraded from a Best Western.

Rhode Island
reviews: 1
2. Re: Help planning anniversary trip

You are not likely to find much in newport, or anywhere in coastal RI or MA, in that price range other than some that will be several steps below rather than above a best Western. Your best bet is definitely a BnB. That site airbnb looks promising though at first glance it looks like apartments and guest rooms rather than BnB?

Bristol is worth a look. I'm sure it is cheaper than Newport and it is a really scenic, quaint town with good restaurants, shops, bars, parks, etc.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
reviews: 71
3. Re: Help planning anniversary trip

Re: airbnb... it's a mix. The Today Show actually did a story on it this morning. It's based on sharing websites in the big cities.. car sharing, apartment sharing, etc. In my case I found a studio apartment over someone's garage in a nice waterfront home in Charleston. Since the purpose of our visit is to explore moving there when we retire it's more authentic than staying in a hotel. And half the price! And the lady who owns it makes us breakfast each morning, just like a real B&B. It's really a great idea, and no taxes and fees, for even more savings.

4. Re: Help planning anniversary trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 07, 2014