We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weekend trip in April

Which Newport hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Worcester, MA
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
reviews: 49
weekend trip in April

Traveling to Newport with three friends April 5-7. We are staying at the harboe area and are somewhat familiar with the town and proably want to do the Cliff walk (will it be do-able early April?), the Ocean Drive , shop etc. Is there anything going on in Newport that weekend that we should think about doing (or avoiding)., any favorite shops?

I did read about a near-by winery in Middletown I think - any thoughts on that? We may stop at the Sakonet(sp?) winery on our way. - Is one better than the other?

we are thinking about the Franch restaurant (Bouchards?) one night - reviews are really good - any other suggestions for dining.

One more question- Can you still go in for lunch or a drink at The Inn at Castle Hill; ditto for Chanler at the Memorial side of the Cliff walk

thanks for any response to my questions

jhgrady

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
reviews: 62
1. Re: weekend trip in April

Cliff Walk is partly closed due to the damage from Sandy. The 40 Steps area, behind Salve Regina and to Memorial Blvd is open, and most consider that to be the best part.

You will be here during Newport Restaurant Week. It's a good idea to make reservations for that week.

http://www.gonewportrestaurantweek.com/

It's daffodil week at Blithewold mansion too.

I love Sakonnet Vineyards, but it has recently been sold. Check to make sure it's open before heading over there. A friend recently went to a bridal shower at Newport Vineyard and she had a great time.

If you're staying in the harbor area have a bowl of chowder at the Black Pearl for lunch one day. The White Horse Tavern is good and historic.. the oldest tavern in North America. Scales and Shells on Thames is good.

2. Re: weekend trip in April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, February 20, 2014