We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newport Marriott vs. Hampton Inn in Middletown

Which Newport hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pennsylvania
reviews: 4
Newport Marriott vs. Hampton Inn in Middletown

We are thinking of spending part of our summer vacation visiting Newport. At this point, we're debating between the Hampton Inn in Middletown and the Newport Marriott. Obviously, I realize they're two very different properties, but here's our debate: the Hampton Inn is clearly lower in price, includes free parking and free breakfast. It looks to be a nice property from what I've read. The Marriott, on the other hand, would put us right in town and looks to be beautiful. However, the price is much higher at the Marriott being in June.

So for those of you familiar with Newport, do you think it's worth paying a significantly higher cost to stay at the Marriott? While the Marriott looks beautiful, we wouldn't actually be going there to spend our time at the hotel, so the decision comes down more to location. I realize we could walk to things from the Marriott, but would the drive from the Hampton Inn be that bad that it would be worth paying that much more at the Marriott?

Exeter, Rhode Island
reviews: 59
1. Re: Newport Marriott vs. Hampton Inn in Middletown

I am local to the area and if I were in your shoes, I definitely would not stay right down in the Thames Street area if I could save a lot of money by staying elsewhere.

Middletown is only a few miles away from Thames Street and the drive to Thames Street won't take any more than a few minutes. The traffic does get really busy around 5-6PM when folks are getting out for dinner, etc

There is parking at the visitor center and at several pay lots scattered around the area. The pay lots are not cheap but I suspect that you would pay for overnite parking at the Marriott. Plan your time on Thames Street wisely and you should be OK.

You would need a car for Ocean Drive and the mansions which are in a different area

Rhode Island
2. Re: Newport Marriott vs. Hampton Inn in Middletown

I live in downtown Newport and I absolutely love being able to walk anywhere in town without worrying about parking or having a few drinks. If I were visiting Newport, and could afford it, I would absolutely stay in town.

Whatever the Marriot charges for parking you are going to pay anyway if you come into town every day. The benefits of being able to walk out your door and do whatever you want could be big. Want to get up early, grab a coffee and take a walk along the harbor or change clothes during the day or go out for a late drink after you've come back to hotel? All right out the door. Not so much in Middletown.

That said...Newport is crazy expensive in the Summer and many people (myself included) can't pay $350/night for a hotel so if the money is a burden it will not be that much of a hassle to drive in from Middletown. The Hampton Inn is only a few years old so I'm sure its a nice property.

You might also consider staying in a B&B in Newport. There are a lot of nice B&B's and small inns that can be more reasonable than the hotels

Exeter, Rhode Island
reviews: 59
3. Re: Newport Marriott vs. Hampton Inn in Middletown

Well, I also agree with the above poster. Much easier to stay right in the Thames Street area and be able to walk out and enjoy the harbor.

But, I would want to spend the extra bucks on a nice meal or something.

I don't know what the difference in cost between the 2 hotels would be.....I did see that the Marriott charges $20 per nite for self parking. If the room there is about $350 or so, that will bring the nitely rate well over $400 with taxes and parking.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
reviews: 64
4. Re: Newport Marriott vs. Hampton Inn in Middletown

I am all in favor of saving some money, and I love Hampton Inns, but that location on West Main Rd in Middletown would ruin a vacation for me. It's a completely charmless strip of big box stores, fast food joints and heavy traffic. Now in summer all of the Newport area has heavy traffic, but that just isn't much of a spot to base a vacation from. I like the eastern side of Middletown better, near Easton's Beach. At night that area is usually on the quiet side. I have stayed at the Quality Inn there and it was pretty nice. The Newport Inn and Suites gets good reviews. There are a few others.

Rhode Island
5. Re: Newport Marriott vs. Hampton Inn in Middletown

Couldn't agree more. I always figured the places by the beach would be pricier but if the cost is comparable it is a MUCH nicer location

Newport, Rhode...
reviews: 39
6. Re: Newport Marriott vs. Hampton Inn in Middletown

I agree with staying in town. Parking in the summer can be a nightmare and you're going to pay to park in a lot (the visitors center being right next to the Marriott.) I'd much rather be able to walk to everything. But I don't know what the difference in price is - if it's really significant and the Marriott is close to breaking the budget, maybe parking in the lot at the visitors center would be worth it. (I say that lot because searching for parking in town in the summer can be very difficult.)

New York
reviews: 30
7. Re: Newport Marriott vs. Hampton Inn in Middletown

Hi

I have a similar question, to stay in Marriott in Newport or Marriott in Middletown. Same room price but the Marriott in Newport charges $20 for parking and the Marriott in Middletown has 2 bedroom suite. I plan to stay 2 nights. For the first day, I plan to visit the mansion and the cliff walk. Not sure what to do the second day.

Jamestown, Rhode...
reviews: 4
8. Re: Newport Marriott vs. Hampton Inn in Middletown

Walk around the city/harbour, visit a historic site, go on Ocean Dr. Fort Adams, beach, shopping, winery, take a cruise on the bay, visit a lighthouse. There are tons of things to do.

Rhode Island
9. Re: Newport Marriott vs. Hampton Inn in Middletown

There is plenty to do. If the price is close there is no question at all you should stay in newport. The Middletown courtyard Marriott is in strip mall hell on the main rd. the newport Marriott is a much nicer hotel and is in the heart of the newport waterfront

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
reviews: 64
10. Re: Newport Marriott vs. Hampton Inn in Middletown

$20 more for Newport? I wouldn't hesitate! You will add at least a couple of hours of fun, vs sitting in traffic to your time here for that money, and eliminate a lot of stress. You will need your car to hit the mansions and Cliff Walk and to drive Ocean Drive. Other than that it's a nuisance.