We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cliff Walk and the rest of the afternoon- cruising

Which Newport hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
reviews: 75
Cliff Walk and the rest of the afternoon- cruising

Hello, we will be in Newport on a cruise. The Cliff Walk looks great, how do we get there on public transit? We are not looking for a trolley hop on hop off tour.

Where would you recommend we spend the last few hours in port after the Cliff Walk? We like galleries with photography, wine bars, antiques, and small cafes and independent coffee shops.

Thank you!

Washington DC...
1. Re: Cliff Walk and the rest of the afternoon- cruising

I see there is a free RIPTA trolley you can ride at the end of the Cliff Walk so you don't have to walk all the way back. Do I have that correct? We will be using public transit so this trolley sounds great, but we are not looking for paid tours.

Newport, Rhode...
Destination Expert
for Newport, Providence
reviews: 4
2. Re: Cliff Walk and the rest of the afternoon- cruising

There is a trolley stop at the far end of the Cliff Walk, but it's not free. You would have to play per ride, or buy a daily pass for $5.00 I think.

After the Cliff Walk, a stroll along Thames Street and the Wharfs will have all of those things on your list of "likes".

Jamestown, Rhode...
reviews: 4
3. Re: Cliff Walk and the rest of the afternoon- cruising

The start of the Cliff Walk is about a mile from where the tender lets you off. You could take a cab ride there. The walk is 3.5 miles one way, very scenic especially at the end, and also some rough footing scrambling over rocks, so no flip flops.

Edited: 8:56 am, February 02, 2013
Washington DC...
4. Re: Cliff Walk and the rest of the afternoon- cruising

Thank you for the info about the trolly, Thames St and the wharf. I'm not sure if we will do the entire Cliff Walk or half and head back.

It it feasible to say that in 6 hours we can do the cliff walk and explore the parts of the city that are closest to the port? We have no physical limitations to our walking abilities.

Rhode Island
reviews: 1
5. Re: Cliff Walk and the rest of the afternoon- cruising

That is defiantely possible. You might do the cliff walk from the start at memorial boulevard to ruggles ave (only about a mile) and then walk back on Bellevue ave. if you go further then ruggles you either have to go all the way to the end or turn around and come back since there is nowhere to hop off the cliff past ruggles (actually marine ave...a couple hundred yards past ruggles). Then you can walk or trolley or taxi back down to Thames st and spend the rest of your time exploring

Warwick, Rhode...
reviews: 81
6. Re: Cliff Walk and the rest of the afternoon- cruising

I thought that Cliff Walk was closed due to the destruction from Hurricane Sansy? Am I incorrect?

Rhode Island
7. Re: Cliff Walk and the rest of the afternoon- cruising

That is a good question. Some of it is technically closed but it is still passable and in the off season there hasn't been anything really preventing you from walking on it. But maybe in the summer the city will be more careful about it? At any rate I think the first part of it is still fine and open

Washington DC...
8. Re: Cliff Walk and the rest of the afternoon- cruising

Hello, I'm looking for an update please. Is the trail fully open since Sandy?

We would like to follow the advice saying to walk from Memorial Blvd to Ruggles Ave. How do we get to Memorial Blvd from the cruise port?

We plan to walk back on Bellevue Ave and hope to catch a trolley to Thames. Are the trolley stops evident?

Thanks so much for the help!

Rhode Island
9. Re: Cliff Walk and the rest of the afternoon- cruising

I might be mistaken but I don't believe any of the repairs have begun yet. It he part you are talking about is open though so you should have no problems.

The trolley stops are evident but they are just smallish signs....no bus sanctuaries or anything.

10. Re: Cliff Walk and the rest of the afternoon- cruising

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, August 03, 2014