We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mexican food and margaritas near the cruise port?

Which Newport hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
reviews: 63
Mexican food and margaritas near the cruise port?

We will be cruising to Newport and are in the very early stages of travel planning. Is there a good Mexican restaurant with tasty margaritas near the cruise port? We are hoping to walk instead of taking a cab. Thanks!

Providence, Rhode...
reviews: 9
1. Re: Mexican food and margaritas near the cruise port?

http://perrosalado.com/

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
reviews: 64
2. Re: Mexican food and margaritas near the cruise port?

Perro Salada, but if I were you I would rethink eating Mexican in Newport. You can find margaritas at any bar. For food I'd choose seafood or American, or Italian perhaps.

Washington DC...
3. Re: Mexican food and margaritas near the cruise port?

Can you recommend a good seafood place, maybe with quintessential Newport specialties?

Rhode Island
4. Re: Mexican food and margaritas near the cruise port?

There are many such places within easy walking distance from where you will land. The mooring, 22 bowens, the landing, black pearl, brick alley pub, fluke are just a few within a five minute walk. Also a bar called Celtica is right around the corner from the dock and they have some of the best stuffies "stuffed quahogs" in town.

If you like Mexican I would definitely consider Perro Salado. It's high end Mexican with great margaritas using a lot of fresh, local ingredients and it is also in a really cool old colonial home that is about as "Newport" as you can get.

Jamestown, Rhode...
reviews: 4
5. Re: Mexican food and margaritas near the cruise port?

Diego's, which is the newest Mexican place in town, is right on Bowen's Wharf, the heart of the harbor area. It isn't a bigger restaurant like Perro, but it gets pretty good reviews for our area. Well actually it seems the reviews have gone down, but sometimes that happens in the winter. Great place to be anyway.

Edited: 10:11 am, February 01, 2013
Newport, Rhode...
Destination Expert
for Newport, Providence
reviews: 4
6. Re: Mexican food and margaritas near the cruise port?

Definately good Margaritas at Diego's....

RI
reviews: 16
7. Re: Mexican food and margaritas near the cruise port?

I agree with Diego's, it's in a great location and the food and drinks are fantastic!

Rhode Island
8. Re: Mexican food and margaritas near the cruise port?

I know some people who like Diego's but I have to say that I have been there probably four times and had two bad experiences, two fine experiences and no great experiences so I pretty much gave up on it.

Washington DC...
9. Re: Mexican food and margaritas near the cruise port?

Thank you for the recommendation! We have had Mexican in a lot of cities and sometimes it is hit or miss. We may also be considering seafood since this is a port town...

I think we are going to do the Cliff Walk and take the bus back to town. Right now we are undecided on cuisine and might need to worry about getting back to the ship since we are only in town for the day.

Diego's is right in the harbor so that might be where we stop if it is not too packed on a Friday, but Perro Salado sounds cool too. Guess we will have to see where we end up from either the bus or from walking back. Thank you again for the tips!

10. Re: Mexican food and margaritas near the cruise port?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 08, 2014