We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newport, Rhode Island to East Hamptons, New York

Which Newport hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Coral Gables...
reviews: 19
Newport, Rhode Island to East Hamptons, New York

In the research I found that you have to take 3 ferries from Newport, Rhode Island to The Hamptons. Is it doable? Is there a long wait to take the ferries? The time is supposed to be 3 hours.

5 replies to this topic
Jamestown, Rhode...
reviews: 4
1. Re: Newport, Rhode Island to East Hamptons, New York

I doubt anyone does this. The ferry from Newport to Block Island alone takes two hours. You could drive to New London, CT and take the ferry from there. Maybe you could fly, there is a small airport in Middletown, next to Newport.

East Hampton, NY
reviews: 2
2. Re: Newport, Rhode Island to East Hamptons, New York

yes it's doable.

You take the New London CT ferry to Orient Point. Then you take the 2 small ferries (Orient Point & Shelter Island ferry) to Sag Harbor NY and then drive to East Hampton. The small ferries take about 3 minutes to cross. The New London ferry is about an hour and a half.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
reviews: 64
3. Re: Newport, Rhode Island to East Hamptons, New York

There are 3 ferries/day between Newport and Block Island. They are high speed ferries so can't transport cars.

www.blockislandferry.com/schedule/hi-speed/

The ride is 1 hr 10 minutes.

From Block Island you can get a ferry to Montauk. Most days there is only one ferry, see the schedule for when you wanted to go.

vikingfleet.com/vikingnews/…

Then you'd need land transportation to the Hamptons.

Pretty much looks like it would take you a whole day to get there via ferry. I agree with Hillside, nobody does that.

Boston
reviews: 3
4. Re: Newport, Rhode Island to East Hamptons, New York

Yes you could take the 12 Noon ferry from Newport to Block Island, getting in around 1:15pm. The next segment on Viking does not seem to leave until 5pm and gets into Montauk at 6:00pm. You would then need to get a cab or bus to East Hampton, about 14 miles away. The bus leaves at 7:20, so probably not worth waiting for.

Edited: 6:02 pm, July 10, 2013
Sudbury, Canada
reviews: 12
5. Re: Newport, Rhode Island to East Hamptons, New York

I am currently planning a trip and we will be going from Newport, RI to East Hampton, NY as well. It looks like the best route is to drive to New London CT and take the ferry to Orient Point, It costs a little over $50 and it takes approx. 1 hr. and 10 min. but you get to take your vehicle on with you. Then you drive to Greenport about 30 mins. maybe longer depending on traffic. Then you take the north ferry to shelter island $12 and only a few minutes to cross, drive across Shelter Island take the south ferry to sag harbor $15 and also very quick. then drive to East Hampton. Looks like waiting for the Ferries, loading and unloading them is what will eat up most of the time. I am guessing with that and possible traffic delays planning 5 hours might be more realistic. I have never done this before that's just a guess from things I have heard on here. I hope this helps and Hope you have a great trip!

Reply to: Newport, Rhode Island to East Hamptons, New York
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted