We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

summer rentals price range for students

Which Newport hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tralee, Ireland
reviews: 54
summer rentals price range for students

hi , my daughter and 5 friends are going to newport bay for 3 months june to aug as part of a student summer working visa from rep of ireland. are they choosing well in choosing this town/ ? it looks lovely and is one of the choices to go to.

firstly where could they expect to live/ ? are there apts to rent / or houses? as this is an affluent area is all acc expensive, any idea how much a month?

also they obviously have to get summer jobs waitress etc are these easy to come by in the summer? and thirdly whats the night life like for teens/twenty yr olds ..? will they be allowed into clubs as they are under 21/ ? thanks very much

11 replies to this topic
Newport, Rhode...
Destination Expert
for Newport, Providence
reviews: 4
1. Re: summer rentals price range for students

As a town, it's a great spot for a summer of working and having fun.....housing and finding a good jobe however, can be a problem....Are they part of a group that has some contacts in the area? Do they have jobs lined up? What other areas are they considering?

Growing up on Cape Cod, we always saw the influx of Irish workers. The housing options and job prospects on the Cape were a lot more numerous than what is in Newport. Newport is quite a bit smaller and has a smaller seasonal job market. A lot of people have held those jobs for summers, and get the choice picks when they return from wherever they spent the winter. A lot of local teachers are also competing for the waitress/waiter/bartender jobs, and return to take shifts year after year.

There are quite a bit of Irish expats in Newport, many of which own some local businesses. Perhaps there is a website or online forum that lists where some current job opportunities are...?

Nightlife is big in the area, but unfortunately the clubs will not allow people under 21 to enter at night....a few bars will, but the drinking age and checking of IDs is very strict.

Tralee, Ireland
2. Re: summer rentals price range for students

thanks again, well, its all come about so quickly . they have to have registered to go to the states by 31 jan so they were looking at newport as it looked good on paper and the office told them it was a better choice than cape cod as accom is very exp there.

they havent looked up jobs or anything yet but theyre hoping they will have luck. i did look up acc but its vague it all requests directly contacting landlord for a price but its not up to me to do that as there are lots of girls and i dont want to interfere but if anyone has any even vague idea of prices per week or month so i know what kind of cash she will have to come up with id be very grateful..

thanks

th

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
reviews: 71
3. Re: summer rentals price range for students

You're a wise mom to be concerned. I agree with milemarker, make sure they have a job and a place to stay beforehand. RI currently has an unemployment rate of over 10%, which means finding a job will not be a sure bet. It's also high season in Newport, so accomodations are at a premium. I assume they will need handy access to public transportation, which is another expense and limits where they can live. Finally, finding an apartment (not likely to find a house to rent) that will accept 6 teens/20s is not going to be easy. Their best bet is probably going to be finding housing used by Salve Regina University students in winter and letting it for summer. They could try craigslist.org or a realty agency that deals with summer rentals in Newport. A glance at craigslist shows a 4 bed apartment on Thames (excellent location for workers) for $1400/ month that is advertised as for students.

They should have enough cash to put down a security deposit (to cover potential damage to the place) equal to one month's rent and to pay the first month's rent in advance. When they move out they get the security deposit back (minus any damages). Food, if they prepare their own and don't eat out, will be at least $50/week per person, but if they find jobs at waitresses you are usually fed a meal. Utilities are usually not included... electric, cable, internet, cell phone.

I know it can be done. I've heard Irish accents from workers in Newport before. I'd just advise them to be very careful and have all their i's dotted and t's crossed.

Jamestown, Rhode...
reviews: 4
4. Re: summer rentals price range for students

Maybe check out GoNewport.com, find out the names of the hotels, and restaurants, and other tourist venues. They are all well-aquainted with hiring Irish young persons in the summer and I bet would correspond via email. There's boat work too.

Tralee, Ireland
5. Re: summer rentals price range for students

thanks everyone..they are looking into all advice given. very helpful

Drogheda, Ireland
6. Re: summer rentals price range for students

Hey, I'm a student heading over for the summer as well working in a golf club just north of Newport and was wondering did those girls have any luck finding accommodation? Struggling big time here and I just paid off the last bit of the Visa and flights so having somewhere to stay is the next big priority! Any info would be really appreciated!!

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
reviews: 71
7. Re: summer rentals price range for students

Hi Conor,

I did some looking around and did not come up with much. There doesn't seem to be anything at all for under $1000/month, with the exception of this place

http://www.newporthostel.com/index.html

I hope you find a place. I would hate to see you out all of the money you already spent. It seems working in Newport for the summer is not a money-making idea, just one that would allow you to see a bit of the US. If you do find alternatives, please do share them on the forum so that others can benefit.

Rhode Island
reviews: 1
8. Re: summer rentals price range for students

I don't know how this works these days but back in the early 90's I had some Irish friends who had come here to work for the summers and they seemed to have mostly organized shared rentals (usually with too many people staying in too small an apartment) with other Irish kids. Maybe there are some forums over there that can help you connect with others that are doing the same thing? It really isn't possible to get a summer rental here that one person can pay for with a summer job.

Drogheda, Ireland
9. Re: summer rentals price range for students

Hi Laury, thanks for the reply. Yeah it's an expensive place alright but the job is meant to pay pretty good and it's more than I'd be making in Ireland anyway!

Do you know can you stay in that hostel for long periods at a time?

Hopefully something comes up and we get sorted out :)

Drogheda, Ireland
10. Re: summer rentals price range for students

Hey Rick, thanks for your reply as well. Yeah there is 4 of us at the moment, hopefully 5 by the time we go and we will be doing something along those lines, as long as it's as cheap as possible so we can keep some earnings haha judging by the prices living alone in Newport ust isn't an option! Thanks though!

Reply to: summer rentals price range for students
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted