We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Goat Island?

Which Newport hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Gibbstown, New...
Level Contributor
167 posts
75 reviews
Goat Island?

I've gone to Newport once before and didn't know anything about Goat Island. Thinking about returning to RI this fall, is Goat Island worth a visit? What is there to do there? Thanks!

East Greenwich...
Level Contributor
14 posts
25 reviews
1. Re: Goat Island?

There is not much there except the Hyatt and some private residences with private drives.

Exeter, Rhode Island
Level Contributor
611 posts
67 reviews
2. Re: Goat Island?

Goat Island is a very small island located just across the harbor from Newport. During WW2, it was the home base for the building of naval torpedoes and my dad worked there.

It is now home of the Hyatt hotel, the Goat Island Marina, several condos right on the water, and several wedding venue spots called "Belle Mere".

You could walk from one end of the island to the other in less than 20 minutes. There is a pretty lighthouse at the north tip of the island.

The Hyatt has an outdoor bar called Pineapples which has seating outside and great views of Narragansett Bay. When we stay at the marina with our boat, we can use the outdoor Hyatt pool which is quite nice.

Near the marina, there is a restaurant called the Marina Cafe. They have outdoor tables and this is a great spot for lunch or drinks as the view is terrific.

You can access the island by car or foot just over the causeway but parking is very limited. You can also get there by taking the harbor taxi (Oldport Marine)for a few dollars just behind the Moorings restaurant.

If you're staying in Newport and looking for a different experience, take Oldport over to the Goat for a drink or two and some different views of the bay.

Exeter, Rhode Island
Level Contributor
611 posts
67 reviews
3. Re: Goat Island?

My posting timed out before I could get this in. I put a link above for the schooner Aurora which is located just by the gas docks at the marina on Goat island. Last year, they had a lobster boil follwed by a sailing trip for sunset. We were going to do this but just never got to it! If they do it again this year, we will definitely go!

Level Contributor
4,338 posts
137 reviews
4. Re: Goat Island?

I wish we could take advantage of the Lobster Boil/Sail. It sounds amazing!

Edited: 10:51 am, January 13, 2013
Exeter, Rhode Island
Level Contributor
611 posts
67 reviews
5. Re: Goat Island?

You are just gonna have to plan a longer trip to Newport!!!

We are interested in that lobster boil since the spot where they do it overlooks the harbor and because you can't beat that price!!

6. Re: Goat Island?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, January 15, 2014