We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Help With Itinerary Please!

Which Newport hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
reviews: 104
Need Help With Itinerary Please!

Like I said in another post, I’m an obsessive planner and have been working on an itinerary for our Newport stay. We land at Logan at 11:05 a.m. on Friday June 29th and will rent a car. Hopefully we can be in Newport by 2:00ish. I’m trying to figure out the most logical way to structure our stay, get as much as possible in, and not run the Mr. ragged! ;-) We’ll head to Boston on Monday July 1st. If anyone has any ideas on how to make this ‘flow’, please let me know! Thanks in advance! :D

MUST do’s in no particular order:

Tour of:

The Breakers

The Elms along with the extra “Servant’s Life” tour

Rough Point

Cliff Walk

10 Mile Drive

Harbor Cruise with narration

Would LOVE to include:

A walking tour that focuses on Colonial Newport history

Jamestown

Fort Adams

A lighthouse (According to the website Rose Island’s tours start the day we leave…. Bummer!)

Kingscote or Hunter House

A visit to a beach

Drink on the lawn of Castle Hill or some other such scenic place.

I have a whole slew of restaurants we’d like to visit, but I’ll just ‘fold those in’ wherever I can. We like to eat, but seeing Newport is our #1 priority! :D

Texas
11. Re: Need Help With Itinerary Please!

I love Open Table too! With only 3 dinner opportunities I want to make solid choices and once done, I don't want to be 'shut out' of a place I have my heart set on. ;-) I'll definitely reserve all 3 dinners and our brunch. Now to decide on those dinners.... :D

Boston...
reviews: 25
12. Re: Need Help With Itinerary Please!

I second the Marble House--the Teahouse is not to be missed. it is so exotic and lovely. A nice place to have a cool drink and rest your tired feet while looking out over the ocean view.

When we have guests, we always take them to the White Horse Tavern. As the oldest continually running tavern in the country, it is beautiful inside...the food is good...and i love to imagine the people who have come through the place.

I am sure Ocean Drive will be repaired shortly...it is one of the drawing cards in Newport. (Is that the '10 mile drive'?) One of our favorite things to do is take a picnic over to Breton Point and watch the waves.

You will love Newport. My son visited us from Austin and wouldn't rest til he moved up here because he fell in love with Newport.

Jamestown, Rhode...
reviews: 4
13. Re: Need Help With Itinerary Please!

Yes, I'm not sure what's going on. The other day at the Jamestown library, there were three cars with Texas license plates. So I thought, oh, they must be escaping the heat. But wait it's not hot now and it's 20 degrees here. I second the WHite Horse as well, for a unique dining experience.

Texas
14. Re: Need Help With Itinerary Please!

Thanks WickedWilling & Hillside for your insight!

The Mr. & I are lovers of history, so we want to go the White Horse Tavern.

I want to fit in as many mansions as time (and the MR!) allow. Marble House is on my list, but not at the top of my list, so we'll see if we can get it in....

The 10 mile drive is definitely on our list.

How interesting that Texans are finding their way to Newport. FYI... I only live about 60 miles north of Austin. :D

15. Re: Need Help With Itinerary Please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 03, 2014