We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Distance Between Mansions

Which Newport hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
reviews: 92
Distance Between Mansions

I'm an obsessive trip planner so I've already started 'working on' my itinerary for our late June early July trip to Newport. :D

We plan on seeing 3 to 5 of the mansions and I was wondering if these are located in a 'walkable' strip or if we need to plan to drive. We'll be renting a car at Logan, but if possible we'd prefer to park it at the hotel and walk or take public transportation.

Thanks in advance for your insight!

Jamestown, Rhode...
reviews: 4
11. Re: Distance Between Mansions

Castle Hill has a great lawn with adirondack chairs overlooking the bay, , where from what I recall a cocktail waitress will even attend to you at your chair. Ocean Cliff has an outddor bar with the same overlook. The view of the passage with the sailboats in the bay, and the house on the rock is simply stunning, a great place to read watch the sunset too. This is the part of the bay where all the races are held.

Edited: 12:52 pm, January 15, 2013
Texas
12. Re: Distance Between Mansions

Thanks Hillside! That view sounds A-Ma-Zing!

We can't wait to see it! :D

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
reviews: 74
13. Re: Distance Between Mansions

Nobody suggested the Jamestown/Newport Ferry.

http://www.jamestownnewportferry.com/

You pay one price and get on and off at as many stops as you like. You can tour Rose Island lighthouse, and the tiny island it's on was a WWII torpedo storage site... it's pretty interesting. It stops at Ft Adams, the center of town in Jamestown and in Newport it's schedule can vary as to how many stops it makes along the waterfront. It's a great value, IMO, and such a great day that my husband and I do it every single year even though we live here.

But do take a ride, if you can, to Jamestown. The views from Ft Wetherill are nothing short of spectacular. If possible have breakfast as Slice of Heaven on Narragansett Ave. The Gran Marnier French toast is incredible. Make the trip out to Beavertail.

Texas
14. Re: Distance Between Mansions

Thanks Lauryc! Those views sounds breath-taking! As I'm working on my itinerary, I'm trying to 'scale back' so that we have more times to just soak up the scenery! Newport seems like the kind of place you need to move through leisurely.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
15. Re: Distance Between Mansions

Exactly, teacher91! With the ferry you sit back and relax instead of dealing with traffic and walking, walking, walking. I forgot to mention Newport harbor itself. You get to cruise past all of the megayatchs, fishing boats, sail boats, 12 meter yatchs...

Which reminds me! If money is no object you can actually crew a 12 meter yatch, or at least ride on one. Something I've always wanted to do, IF money were no object! I almost collided with one once during a sailing lesson and that's probably as close as I'm going to come to one.

Texas
16. Re: Distance Between Mansions

<<If money is no object>>

.... Doesn't my name "Teacher" say it all? LOL!

Westerly, Rhode...
reviews: 26
17. Re: Distance Between Mansions

Also keep an eye out for the condition of the Cliff Walk when your trip gets close. Parts of it were damaged in a recent storm. And driving from place to place really shouldn't be a problem.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
reviews: 11
18. Re: Distance Between Mansions

FYI, Cliff Walk was severely damaged last Fall during "Superstorm Sandy" and last week local TV news reported it is closed with no idea of how long it will take to rebuild and reopen. In RI these things take YEARS.

DEFINITELY plan on going to Castle Hill...the ambiance and vista breath taking.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
19. Re: Distance Between Mansions

The damaged part of Cliff Walk is fortunately not the most popular part... the beginning at Memorial Blvd through the 40 Steps area and the portion that runs behind Salve Regina is intact and open. Don't miss it!

Texas
20. Re: Distance Between Mansions

Thanks ILOVERI for the tip!

So glad to hear the damage wasn't to the 40 steps area. We definitely want to check it out for the gorgeous views. Ahhh... we can't wait. Thanks LoveCayMan!

Thanks Lauryc. We are looking forward to walking the best part of Ciff Walk. In fact I ordered a map and can't wait until it comes in! :D

Edited: 8:39 am, February 01, 2013