We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Distance Between Mansions

Which Newport hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
reviews: 81
Distance Between Mansions

I'm an obsessive trip planner so I've already started 'working on' my itinerary for our late June early July trip to Newport. :D

We plan on seeing 3 to 5 of the mansions and I was wondering if these are located in a 'walkable' strip or if we need to plan to drive. We'll be renting a car at Logan, but if possible we'd prefer to park it at the hotel and walk or take public transportation.

Thanks in advance for your insight!

Exeter, Rhode Island
reviews: 59
1. Re: Distance Between Mansions

Newport is fairly small and getting around with a car is pretty easy except for the traffic, especially during the summer!

Since you will be staying on Thames St, you can drive over to one mansion and easily walk to others....the most popular of the mansions are clumped fairly close together on Bellevue Avenue.

You can also choose to do the Cliff Walk which is behind the mansions with terrific views of their "back yards", flowers, and the ocean. Late June is one of the best times for the Cliff Walk because of the wild roses blooming IMHO. You can also go over to the Spiced Pear ($$$$$) for dinner. It sits just above the Cliff Walk. You can have lunch outside there as well.

There is also a Hop On Hop Off shuttle that you can use - I don't know a lot about it but I'm sure you can get the details at "gonewport.com"

Once you are done with the mansions and Cliff Walk drive over to Second beach and enjoy the views from there, visit the Purgatory Chasm near the beach, and drive past the beach to the Sachuest park area for nice little hikes and more great views. Second Beach is my favorite - I got engaged there as have many of my friends and family. Of course, we were there at nite for the "submarine races"!!

Texas
2. Re: Distance Between Mansions

We definitely want to do the Cliff Walk! Would that be a nice way to move from mansion to mansion via the Cliff Walk? Or would the distance between the 'front' & 'back' yards be too much to walk it that way?

I also think lunch on the Cliff Walk Terrace would be a nice 'break' in between touring, so thanks for the recommendation! I just can't wait to 'drink in' those views!! <GRIN>

Confession time! I have never heard of 'submarine races' We're land locked here in Central TX, so I had to Google it. ;-) I've added Second Beach and the Purgatory Chasm to my list.... and it just keeps growing.

Gee, I hope we have enough time in Newport! :D

Newport, Rhode...
Destination Expert
for Newport, Providence
reviews: 4
3. Re: Distance Between Mansions

Don;t forget the 10 Mile Drive that you can encorporate on your way too, or from the mansions.

www.oceandrivenewport.com/

Texas
4. Re: Distance Between Mansions

Thanks MM! It's definitely on my list! :-)

Exeter, Rhode Island
reviews: 59
5. Re: Distance Between Mansions

Since you will have a car, consider the easy (20 minutes or less)drive over to Jamestown, which is another island just off the coast from Newport. Beavertail State Park (on Jamestown) offers stunning views of both entrances to Narragansett Bay

Texas
6. Re: Distance Between Mansions

Thanks Emily! I'll add it to our growing list as a 'possibility'. I'm starting to get worried I won't get everything in! :D Originally I was only planning a Friday to Sunday. I'm glad I added in that extra day! :)

Jamestown, Rhode...
reviews: 4
7. Re: Distance Between Mansions

I think if you plan on doing 3 mansions in one day, which would be alot, walking to each would be too much. Bellevue Ave is at least 3 miles. Yes there is a lot to see and do in the area, if you can't make it to Jamestown, at least go to Fort Adams in Newport, to see the view from the opposite side, or even better, have a cocktail on the lawn at Castle Hill or Ocean Cliff resorts, no need to be a guest. While the view of the Atlantic from Cliff Walk is majestic, the view of East Passage on the other side, is what makes Newport unique.

Edited: 10:18 pm, January 10, 2013
Texas
8. Re: Distance Between Mansions

I would love to go to both Jamestown and Fort Adams, I'm just not sure how to work it all in. Perhaps some of you can help me figure it out. :D

We love the idea of the cocktail on the lawn of Castle Hill. How does that work?

I truly appreciate all the great insight and advice everyone has given me thus far. I have planned many great trips based on the advice of the TA community. I have no doubt my Newport trip will be no different! ;0)

East Greenwich...
reviews: 9
9. Re: Distance Between Mansions

Just as an FYI most of the mansions have there own parking lot. Not sure if Rough Point does now, but when we did the tour there we had to park at the visitors center and take a shuttle in. It's all the way at the end of Bellevue so probably would be a lot of walking.

Texas
10. Re: Distance Between Mansions

Thanks KNT! We would prefer to park the rental car as much as possible and use public transportation, but it's nice to know that there are places to park if we choose to drive ourselves. :)