We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Favorite Restaurants?

Which Newport hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
reviews: 78
Favorite Restaurants?

I'm in the midst of happily planning a pre-Boston trip to Newport (June 28th - July 1st) for the Mr. & I. It will be our first trip and I'm super excited to see gorgeous Newport! :0)

I was wondering what the locals, regulars, and DE's consider a 'not to be missed' restaurant? Right now I have the following on my 'radar' as possibilities:

Mama Luisa or Lucia

Black Pearl

The White Horse Tavern

Brick Alley Pub

I based these choices on TA and YELP reviews. Sadly we'll only have three lunch and three dinner opportunities, so I want to make the best possible choices! :D

Thanks in advance!

Texas
reviews: 78
11. Re: Favorite Restaurants?

Thanks Lauryc for your opinions and insight. I've been trying to figure out a lunch option for our June 28th arrival. Our day will start VERY early (4:00 a.m. CST) for our 6:40 a.m flight. We'll arrive @ Logan at 11:05 and pick up our rental car. I know we'll be ready to eat, so I have been debating if we should stop in Boston, get something on the road, or wait until we get to Newport. Whatever we do, I don't want it to be a long drawn out, time robber kind of lunch. I'd like to see one mansion before we check into our hotel. Would Flo's Clam Shack be a good option? If not, do you (or anyone reading) have another suggestion?

At this point I'm thinking Bouchard's for our Saturday night dinner, a lunch at Black Pearl (gotta try their chowder!), and would still like to figure out where to put in the White Horse Tavern - if for nothing else the historic aspect. They don't do breakfast by chance? Unfortunately, touring and eating often get in the way of one another. I've found in the past you often have to pick one, and then work the other one in where you can. However, I'm usually able to successfully marry the two... one way or another! :D

Thanks again & have a GREAT day!

Rhode Island
12. Re: Favorite Restaurants?

I don't think anyone has mentioned breakfast yet, which may be because there is a lack of really special breakfast spots around here, but I wanted to mention a couple. The Corner Café on Broadway- really good food with some interesting specials and good coffee. Belles Café- Inside the Newport Shipyard. I hesitate to tell people about it for fear that too many of them will go there and it will get crowded but you have to check it out. The food is fine, a little pricey, but you get to eat it at picnic tables and on Adirondack chairs on the Shipyard dock surrounded by some truly incredible boats...giant power yachts and sailboats, racing boats, wooden boats. Some of them will be out of the water for repairs which is pretty cool to see too.

I also don't think anyone mentioned Tallulah on Thames. That might be my top pick for a special dinner. Small place, wonderful, creative food using fresh, local ingredients. Beautiful presentations.

Other favorites are Perro Salado (great upscale Mexican in a beautiful, colonial home), Mama Luisa and Puerinni's for Italian, 22 Bowens. And for good food at half the price of anywhere else in town and a great craft beer selection try Pour Judgement on Broadway.

If you need picnic supplies check out Le Petit Gourmet across from the Viking Hotel on Bellevue Ave. Great cheese and other treats you can take with you and can help you pick a bottle of wine next door at the Newport Wine Cellar to go along with it.

13. Re: Favorite Restaurants?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, January 23, 2014