We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging during Christmas week

Which Newport hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Yarmouth, MA
Lodging during Christmas week

Hi All -

I need your sage advice on lodging in Newport for one night during Christmas week.

Our niece is getting married on Dec. 22 at Ocean Cliff. I've read the TA reviews, which pretty much confirmed my initial gut feeling that I didn't want to stay in the same place the wedding is being held.

When my hubby and I travel, I'm always looking for lodgings that are a little unique. Name brand hotels, blech. Give me a really neat, authentic inn with spectacular service any day!

Since it's only one night, price isn't a huge consideration. However, we won't be spending a whole lot of time at our lodging, so don't need to go crazy money-wise on the room, either. Would like to keep it within reason ($200 or under ... is that reasonable for Newport at Christmas???)

Anyway - I'd really appreciate your input and suggestions on lodging choices.

Thanks!

Dee

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
reviews: 62
1. Re: Lodging during Christmas week

If money is no object I would stay at the Castle Hill Inn. Nothing cookie cutter about that place! The location is also good, just a short drive down the road from Ocean Cliff.

Another great choice would be Vanderbuilt Grace, which is in town, a little over 4 miles. The restaurants in that hotel gets rave reviews with foodies.

Yarmouth, MA
2. Re: Lodging during Christmas week

Hi Lauryc -

Thanks for your reply!

Castle Hill looks absolutely lovely, and I know I said that "price isn't a huge consideration", but it is some consideration to be sure. Given that we'll only be there to sleep, plus a couple hours on either end of beddy-bye time, I just can't justify spending upwards of $400 a night.

Vanderbilt Grace looks gorgeous, too. However, the only thing they have available for the night we'll be there is a suite - again more than we need under the circumstances.

I guess I'll just keep poking around through the B&B/Inn listings until I come up with something ...

Newport, Rhode...
Destination Expert
for Newport, Providence
reviews: 4
3. Re: Lodging during Christmas week

I agree with the Inn at Castle Hill, but in all honesty, at that time of year, the sun sets so early you don;t have much time (or outdoor lawn) to really enjoy the view. It is also outside of town, so there isn't much to walk to. You are better off staying in town IMO.

Aside from the B&B's you are researching, the Hotel Viking isn't really a "cookie cutter" name brand hotel. More of a boutique hotel. Also across the street from there the Hilltop Inn and the Hydranga House you might want to look at. All are walking distance to the main harbor area of town.

Westerly, Rhode...
reviews: 25
4. Re: Lodging during Christmas week

I was going to suggest the Viking as well. It's close to the harbor area, and you won't run into a 2 night minimum issue that you often get with B&Bs. However, the Francis Malbone Inn always gets great reviews, so look into that as well.

Newport, RI
reviews: 47
5. Re: Lodging during Christmas week

There are so many cute inns to choose from in town. Here are some to check out that i think would be close to your price range, i don't think prices spike at Christmas here, but i could be wrong. Pelham Court Hotel, 41 North, Pearls, Mill St Inn, and Almondy. All of these are downtown so you can walk to breakfast or for a drink before/after the wedding.

Yarmouth, MA
6. Re: Lodging during Christmas week

Hi All -

For some reason, I just received the reply update notice from TA. So I've just read the responses from milemarker0, ILoveRI, and ENDWOOD for the first time.

Procrastinator that I am, I still haven't made a reservation anywhere - even tho the wedding is fast approaching.

My thanks to you all for your suggestions. As soon as I get a few minutes today, I'll check them all out.

Much appreciated!!!

7. Re: Lodging during Christmas week

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:19 am, December 15, 2013