We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get to Newport, RI harbor area from JFK NY?

Which Newport hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tel Aviv, Israel
How to get to Newport, RI harbor area from JFK NY?

Hello,

Traveling first time to Newport, any fresh advises how to get to Newport from JFK airport and what options are available?

Best Regards,

L.

Rhode Island
reviews: 1
1. Re: How to get to Newport, RI harbor area from JFK NY?

You mean by car?

Tel Aviv, Israel
2. Re: How to get to Newport, RI harbor area from JFK NY?

Hi, sorry forgot to mention it, by public transport.

Jamestown, Rhode...
reviews: 4
3. Re: How to get to Newport, RI harbor area from JFK NY?

The regional bus service here is Peter Pan, but I don't think they service direct to Newport, probably Providence. The Amtrak train goes to Kingston Station in RI, then you could take the local RIPTA bus to get to Newport, about a half hour drive, or hire a taxi. From JFK you would probably have to get to Penn Station in NY first, to catch Amtrak. From Providence to Newport there are also several buses.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
reviews: 71
4. Re: How to get to Newport, RI harbor area from JFK NY?

I looked up the bus option. You would have to make your way from JFK to the bus terminal in Times Square and then take the bus to Providence, transfer to another bus to go to Fall River, MA and then finally to Newport. The cost of the bus is $55 or so. I'm not familiar with NYC transit. You can look up your exact dates yourself:

peterpanbus.com

But looks like the total ride is about 7 hours, which is probably very unwelcome news after a flight.

You could take Amtrak to Kingstown, RI and then take a public bus to Newport. There are only a few buses per day, though, so you'd have to check the schedules for Amtrak and ripta.com. Also you have to use NYC public transportation to get from JFK to Penn Station for that option.

If it were me I'd just book a flight to PVD (RI's airport) from JFK. It's about 45 minutes by air, and once at the airport you have options for getting to Newport including public bus, taxi or shuttles. The ride is about 30 minutes from the airport to Newport.

Rhode Island
reviews: 1
5. Re: How to get to Newport, RI harbor area from JFK NY?

No matter how you do it it will be a long trip. JFK to Penn Station on the subway is a good 1 1/2 hours. Train to Kingston is 3 1/2 or 4. Then bus to Newport could take a while. This is what I would probably do if money was a concern.

Flying to PVD would be a good option. Cozy cab runs a shuttle between the airport and Newport and there is also the bus. I'd probably do this if money was not a concern.

Also renting car might be an option depending on what you're doing once your in Newport.

6. Re: How to get to Newport, RI harbor area from JFK NY?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 am, December 15, 2013