We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mansion tours!

Which Newport hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
PA
reviews: 11
Mansion tours!

My husband, myself and 2 sons (young adults) want to tour 2 mansions....which 2 would you suggest?

Self guided or group tour?

Thanks so much

Rhode Island
reviews: 1
1. Re: Mansion tours!

I would pick the Breakers and The Elms. Both of these have self-guided tours with individual headsets.

boston, MA
reviews: 20
2. Re: Mansion tours!

No question ofr me, Marble House and The Breakers. The gold dining rrom in the marble house is stunning.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
reviews: 80
3. Re: Mansion tours!

My vote would be for The Breakers and Rosecliff, where The Great Gatsby was filmed. Actually, I would only tour one mansion, and would do self-guided... they have audiotours are many of the mansions. Then you can move quickly through things that don't interest you and linger where you like.

There are just so many things to do in RI, seen one mansion, seen them all, and The Breakers is the best.

reviews: 93
4. Re: Mansion tours!

We just returned from Newport this week and toured the Breakers and The Elms with our children (11yo son and 15 yo daughter). Our son was bored to tears at the Breakers. He somewhat enjoyed the Elms. They have a two mansion package with the Breakers and one other. Be prepared, the houses are un-air-conditioned...and it gets hot during the summer months. Wear comfy walking shoes and bring water! Park for free on side streets.

Rhode Island
5. Re: Mansion tours!

You can park for free in the parking areas or driveways of the mansions themselves.

san jose, ca
reviews: 36
6. Re: Mansion tours!

Is there a time limit on how long you can leave your car in the driveways? Follow up, can you park at the Breakers, exit from there to the Cliff walk, walk along cliff walk to either the Elms, Marble House, or Rosecliff (we would do only one in addition to Breakers). ? then walk back to car at the Breakers?

Boston...
7. Re: Mansion tours!

Just came back and had time for just one. Picked the Marble Mansion and enjoyed it and the walk in the back. From there went to Castle Hill and enjoyed cocktails over a beautiful sunset.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
reviews: 80
8. Re: Mansion tours!

There is no time limit. Walking distance is very subjective, but there is Cliff Walk parking available along Webster St, Sheppard Ave and Narragansett Ave. The highlight of Cliff Walk is The 40 Steps at Narragansett Ave. You might get lucky and find a spot on that street. If so, at the bottom turn right and walk along the "back yards" of the mansions. Beautiful!

Rhode Island
9. Re: Mansion tours!

Just as an FYI, the Elms is not on Cliff Walk (or rather, not on the Cliff Walk side of Bellevue). You could walk there from the Breakers by going up either Shepard or Ruggles Ave to Bellevue then taking a right on Bellevue and walking about 1/2 mile down. In order to get from the Breakers to either Rosecliff or Marble House, you can get on Cliff Walk by the Breakers at Shepard or Ruggles Ave, then exit Cliff Walk at Marine Ave. You would then need to walk up Marine Ave. and take a left onto Bellevue. Rosecliff and Marble House are both on the left; Rosecliff is first. Note that while you can see the backs of the mansions and their beautiful backyards from the Cliff Walk, you cannot actually access them from Cliff Walk. You do need to walk out to Bellevue to get to them.

san jose, ca
reviews: 36
10. Re: Mansion tours!

thanks for the information.

Mimilou, Are there signs/posts along the cliff walk for "exits" and the mansions that are nearby those "exits" or is the cliff walk at least close enough that you can see the street signs for those particular streets (in particular, Marine ave)

Laury, if we take your suggestion and park by the 40 steps, what mansions are easy to "hop off" the cliff walk for a tour then "hop back on"?

For us, walking 2-3 miles along a cliff walk would not be a hard thing to do. When we take the kids to the gradparents we do a cliff walk every day of about 3 miles (3000 miles away and a different ocean! no mansions there, thus we are hoping to do one or two as part of a cliff walk)