We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Steak Dinner in Newport ?

Which Newport hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
south jersey
reviews: 75
Best Steak Dinner in Newport ?

Hello, we will be visiting the Newport area next week. We were planning on having dinner at Bowens but I am starting to question that choice with all the negative comments about the restaurant. Can you give us some advice on where to go for a nice quiet romantic steak dinner? We appreciate you help!!

Westerly, Rhode...
reviews: 26
1. Re: Best Steak Dinner in Newport ?

How about the White Horse Tavern? Quintessential New England tavern -- how can you beat that?

south jersey
2. Re: Best Steak Dinner in Newport ?

thank you for the suggestion. I will look into it. murph

Exeter, Rhode Island
reviews: 66
3. Re: Best Steak Dinner in Newport ?

Not sure what negative comments that you saw but 22 Bowen steaks are terrific. When you reserve a table ask for the scull room on the second floor for a quieter room with a good view

Exeter, Rhode Island
4. Re: Best Steak Dinner in Newport ?

Also, check out the reviews on "opentable.com"

RI
reviews: 16
5. Re: Best Steak Dinner in Newport ?

I agree with below post, 22 Bowen has great food, just pricey. I have eaten there often and have ways had great service and food. Hope this helps.

Exeter, Rhode Island
6. Re: Best Steak Dinner in Newport ?

Yes.....all steakhouses are pricey....I wonder where those negative comments were posted??

My most favorite steak is the delmonico at 22 Bowen but since it's most likely 12 trillion calories I limit this to special occasions!

south jersey
7. Re: Best Steak Dinner in Newport ?

thank you for the great advice! I appreciate it. I noticed the negative comments on trip advisor, not many but I feel better now. Thank you for the suggestion. murph

Exeter, Rhode Island
8. Re: Best Steak Dinner in Newport ?

If you do go to 22 Bowen, let us know your opinion....

Northern Ireland
reviews: 63
9. Re: Best Steak Dinner in Newport ?

Well, last week we tried the Cooke house and the steaks were superb..!

Newport RI
reviews: 43
10. Re: Best Steak Dinner in Newport ?

Murphman, where did you go and how was it?

The negative comments on Trip Advisor about 22 Bowen's are a bit suspicious, or uninformed.

Anyone who has gone to an upscale steak house serving Prime beef lately realizes the prices have escalated rapidly in the past year or two. They are all expensive, but if you are a beef lover you expect to pay for the best cuts.

Complaints about charging for side dishes, and the size of side dishes, indicates the poster is not familiar with steak house dining--that's the way it's done at all the top places.

The service at 22 Bowen's has always been one of our high points (I usually go with my husband who loves beef). It can get a bit rushed on the weekends in the tourist season, but overall it is professional, friendly and knowledgable.

Let us know where you went, please, and how you liked it?