We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safari Patio or Safari Restaurant

Which Newport hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mid-Atlantic
reviews: 9
Safari Patio or Safari Restaurant

Can anyone tell me anything about this place? What kind of food do they serve? Is it good? Nice atmosphere? Anything?

Thanks!

Mid-Atlantic
1. Re: Safari Patio or Safari Restaurant

Also - Can anyone tell me when the Marina Grille closed? Thanks!

Newport
2. Re: Safari Patio or Safari Restaurant

I think you are referring to the restaurant at Ocean Cliff out on Ocean Drive. Fantastic views and good food, but more seasonal than the most places so call ahead to make sure they are open. They also have dining out on the deck which I would prefer.

www.TableHound.com for info on all Newport restaurants.

www.GoNewport.com for all things Newport

Newport, Rhode...
Destination Expert
for Newport, Providence
reviews: 4
3. Re: Safari Patio or Safari Restaurant

Marina Grille closed earlier this year, and now just hosts private parties (weddings, rehearsal dinners, etc.)

Mid-Atlantic
4. Re: Safari Patio or Safari Restaurant

Milemarker, thanks! Do you happen to know if it closed before June?

Newport
5. Re: Safari Patio or Safari Restaurant

The Marina Grill, as the locals knew it, closed many years ago. The original owner, Greg Gammon, was taken over by the person that owned the land. It went more upscale and now has closed completely to the public. There are still people that long for the old Marina Grill.

Newport, Rhode...
Destination Expert
for Newport, Providence
reviews: 4
6. Re: Safari Patio or Safari Restaurant

Yes it was closed before June.

The owner used to also own the Regatta Club across the way. It was later discovered that he built it on land not owned by him, but rather by the condo association next door. After a long court battle the condo association eventually prevailed and took over the building.....it is now called Bel Mar and still has weddings and other events. That left the Marina Grill owner without a spot to do weddings and such, so he turned the Marina Grill into a function place.

7. Re: Safari Patio or Safari Restaurant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 pm, September 07, 2009