We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RI without a car

Which Newport hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pennsylvania
reviews: 8
RI without a car

Southwest Air has cheap tickets from Philadelphia to Providence.. on a whim I was thinking of vacationing in rhode island for a long weekend in august… someone recommended staying in Newport… it that far from providence… is Rhode Island doable without a car? Where would be the best location to stay to absorb all the main attractions …. My husband and I like to hike and ride bikes… hopefully there are bike rentals available somewhere….. Thanks for any info! Kathy

Newport, Rhode...
reviews: 36
1. Re: RI without a car

If you stay in Newport, you don't need a car. You can walk to many places including the beaches! From Providence to Newport, you will definitely need a car or taxi or shuttle bus. Here is one website I found right in Newport for bike rentals.

http://www.tenspeedspokes.com/

Here is the official website for Newport, RI. http://www.gonewport.com/

Hope this helps a bit.

Newport, Rhode...
2. Re: RI without a car

You could have a very enjoyable weekend in Npt by bike- there are no hills and everything is nearby. Also, from Npt you could take the highspeed RIPTA ferry to Providence and ride around there for the day. Or you could take the ferry to Jamestown or Block Island- with your bikes.

Pennsylvania
3. Re: RI without a car

would you recommend spending one night in providence and two in newport? we'll be flying in early friday morning to providence and returning to philadelphia late on monday night.. I really don't know anything about RI... like I said its just a whim... but I will be without a car... also I love to kayak...

Boston...
reviews: 26
4. Re: RI without a car

Newport is an entire weekend in itself, IMO. I have been several times for 4-5 days and STILL haven't seen all I want.

You can take a shuttle from the airport to Newport. I never have a car when I'm there and I get around just fine.

Pennsylvania
5. Re: RI without a car

can you recommend a place to stay that is central to everything in providence and also a place in newport... maybe in the $150 range (if that's even possible)

how much does the ferry cost from providence to newport and how long does it take?

thanks

Newport, Rhode...
6. Re: RI without a car

Providence is small- the two locations you'll probably want to see are the East Side(Brown-RISD) area, and the downtown, oh-a ten minute or so walk from each other. It probably would be easier just to take the ferry, but thats 1.5 hours each way but fares are pretty cheap. The airport is in Warwick which is 15 min to Prov and 1/2 hour to Npt- ny car. In my opinion without a car, you would be fullfilled by just staying in Npt, it isn't just beaches and mansions, there are plenty of other things. "Island Sports" might answer questions about kayak rentals. You might want to try centrally located Las Palmas Inn right in Newport, a place that is often overlooked, but I know nothing about it. Good luck.

Providence RI
reviews: 1
7. Re: RI without a car

Here's the thing we love about RI: it's not really overdeveloped, yet. There are some parts with too many people and too many new housing developments, but the real attractions are still charming and somewhat isolated. The question of needing a car always comes up on TA and I'm surprised that folks think you can scoot between the charming locations without a car. This state is very slow to bring affordable long-distance public transportaion into play.

So, plan to focus on Newport. It's delightful. Don't miss the famous mansions- if you're good, ride the whole ocean drive to see 'em all.

The ferry to Prov is $16 round-trip and 65 minutes. The interesting parts of Prov are: Westminster St (many new artsy stores) and the Brown University/Benefit St area. You can walk the length of Benefit St, which they say is the largest concentration of colonial homes in the US. Walk up the hill, see Brown, then you can have cheap eats along Thayer St. We also have a great Italian district, Federal Hill.

But, if it's just a "long weekend," focus first on Newport, especially if you hope to explore, bike ride and hang out. Get over to Jamestown Island (just across the water from Newport) and explore there. Great, isolated place.

Newport
8. Re: RI without a car

Shuttle van from the airport to Newport - $20 per person each way

401.846.2500 for info

Ten Speed Spokes is a great place. There are alos mopeds to rent or little three-wheeled carts also.

Price range is most important when looking for a place.

Go to www.GoNewport.com and click on places to stay and call a reservation company. Tell them your price range and that you want to stay as close to downtown as possible.

There is enough to do in Newport that can fill days so try to plan your entire trip there and you will be happy with many diverse things to do.

9. Re: RI without a car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 am, September 05, 2009