We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which harbor cruise?

Which Newport hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
california
which harbor cruise?

I am looking for a cruise that will include the mansions, lighthouses, and nice scenery. Has anyone tried the Classic cruise rum Runner or the Amazing Grace or the spirit of newport?

Thanks

Parker, Colorado
1. Re: which harbor cruise?

I am also interested in a harbor cruise of some kind. Is a sailboat ride the best option? I would like something unique since we're from Colorado, and we don't see the water much!

newtown, pa
2. Re: which harbor cruise?

Dear Memers, I've taken the Rum Rummer and it was fine, but my very favorite is the sailboat, "Madeleine". It's just a beautiful boat, and the sunset cruise is my top recommendation to any going to Newport. The guides are great and it's a wonderful way to see Newport. You also asked earlier about bfast on the way from Mystic. I pretty much agree with the man who said you'd be better off eating in Mystic. The other (wonderful) communities with seaside dining may or may not have bfast. If you do want to try, I'd say to get off I-95 at exit 92 and take the 78 connector to Rte 1 North, you'll go along closer to the coast and there is a cute, casual, marina-based restaurant called Hanson's Landing in a town called Wakefield (just before the Narragansett/Block Island Ferry exit). It's right on the water (Great Salt Pond) and the food's good...just don't know for sure if they serve bfast, but you could call and check. You just keep going on US 1 North, looking for signs for Newport Bridge (check Mapquest for more specifics) Enjoy!

Boston MA
3. Re: which harbor cruise?

We come to Newport regularly and have gone on many harbor tours and sailing excursions. One outfit that is very enjoyable is called Sightsailing on Bowen's Wharf. They have three different sailboats that you can sail on with a captain. We like Sightsailing because their boats sail with fewer guests than the really big ones in town and are much more fun to sail on. My wife and I often charter one of their boats for a private sail. Their captains are very professional and personable.

Newport RI
reviews: 43
4. Re: which harbor cruise?

All of the boats mentioned, as well as another sailboat, The Adirondack, sail from the Bowen's/Bannisters Wharf area. Maybe you can go down there and see/speak with each one of the choices and then decide which fits you best?

You mentioned wanting to see the mansions from a cruise vessel. Unless you charter a boat to take you out of the Bay you will not see the Bellevue Ave. mansions from the water since all the regularly scheduled cruises stay in Narragansett Bay. You can see Jackie Kennedy's family home (now a private home) and a couple of other large properties in Jamestown, but it's not a mansion sightseeing cruise itinerary for any of those vessels.