We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hockey game and shopping - where to stay

Which Buffalo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
toronto
reviews: 18
Hockey game and shopping - where to stay

We will be oing to a Sabres game and I want to shop around Boulevard Mall. Should we stay in Amherst (looked at the Holiday Inn Buffalo/Amherst) and if so how far a drive is it to the arena and is there lots of parking? If it's too far, should we stay downtown and if so any recommendations?

Thanks!

7 replies to this topic
Buffalo, New York
reviews: 57
1. Re: Hockey game and shopping - where to stay

I would stay in Amherst the shopping is better (non existent downtown) and its safer. As far as hotels go I would look elsewhere as that Holiday in is ancient. There are newer and nicer hotels nearby. The arena is a 15 minute drive and there is lots of parking.

2. Re: Hockey game and shopping - where to stay

Depends what you want.

If you want better dining and nightlife options then Downtown by far would be much to your liking. From the clubs on Chippewa, to the bohemian neighborhood and home to Buffalo indie music scene, Allentown just to the North, with higher end bars and restaurant scattered in between, then you have a ton of options without having to worry about driving after the game. There are also some museums and the free observation deck of the second tallest city hall in the US are not to be missed either if you need something to fill your time between bouts of shopping.

The Boulevard Mall is 30 minute or less from downtown taking the through-way during normal hours, and about 40-50 minutes during rush hour.

If you are just focusing on shopping then you probably want to stay in Amherst. Check out the hotels near UB North: Hotel Indigo, Marriot, Red Roof Inn, Motel 6, among others. All a 5 minute drive to the Mall. If you want to save money on parking, you can park for free at the Park and Ride lot at UB South (10minute drive from the Boulevard Mall), and take the MetroRail downtown. Its $4 for a two way ticket.

Don't listen to Thundarr. He hasn't left his suburban stronghold since the 60s. Downtown is heavily patrolled by police and is very safe. The worse you see is the occasional drunken brawl after games.

If you decide to stay downtown and want some boutique shopping, there are some great independently owned stores in Allentown, just to the north of Downtown, and all scattered about along Elmwood Ave in the Elmwood Village (North of Allentown).

Buffalo, New York
reviews: 57
3. Re: Hockey game and shopping - where to stay

I have left my suburban stronghold many times to travel downtown. When I was young my parents had a business downtown. Downtown used to be beautiful and safe. Buffalo was at it heyday around the turn of the last century. Downtown Buffalo is a shell of what it used to be. There was the Erie Savings Bank, with its fabulous model train setup every Christmas, which was torn down to build that now mostly empty Main Place. Here is a quote about a famous Frank Lloyd Wright building "Although torn down in 1950, the Larkin Building, designed as the headquarters of the Larkin Soap Company, remains one of the most influential designs of the 20th century. Wright invented floor-to-ceiling glass doors, double-pane windows and toilets affixed to the walls for this monument to American business. Massive, forbidding brick piers anchoring the exterior signaled a break with classical historical styles. The light-filled atrium piercing its five floors, with managers visible at their desks at the bottom, turned the traditional office hierarchy on its head."

Here are some interesting links:

www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php…

wnyheritagepress.org/photosofweek/federal_re…

I remember the beautiful Federal Reserve Bank on Main and Swan Streets which was torn down for a parking lot and is still a parking lot 54 years later.

Most of the posters on here don't remember or weren't around when going downtown was THE thing to do. Although there have been a few sign of life lately its still not much. Believe it or not people used to come to Buffalo from Toronto for entertainment. My father was from Toronto and I remember it well.

toronto
4. Re: Hockey game and shopping - where to stay

Thanks for your comments. We've decided to shop in the burbs, then stay at the Hyatt downtown and take the tram to the game. Any good wing place you would recommend close to the Hyatt or the arena?

Cheers,

New York State, USA
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
reviews: 17
5. Re: Hockey game and shopping - where to stay

Hi straller,

The Pearl Street Grill tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60974-d40… is within walking distance of the arena. You can take the trolley to Seneca Street and then walk one block west. Main Street is currently under construction and the trolley from the Hyatt ends at Church Street, requiring you to exit, cross the street, and take a "shuttle" trolley one stop to Seneca Street. If the weather is nice, you might skip this inconvenience and just exit at Church Street, walk west (you can see L.Erie and Canada in the distance!) one block to Pearl Street, then turn left (south). The Pearl Street Grill is 2-3 blocks down and you'll pass by some great architecture on the way:

1) St. Paul's Cathedral (by the same architect as Trinity Church on Wall St in NYC, Richard Upjohn) tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60974-d26…

2) Guaranty Building (designed by Louis Sullivan, Frank Lloyd Wright's former boss & mentor) tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60974-d26…

3) Lofts on Pearl (excellent 19th c. exterior, completely renovated interior) tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60974-d3784565…

Bon voyage!

-Dee

toronto
6. Re: Hockey game and shopping - where to stay

Dee thanks for the info - had the Pearl Street Grill on our lunch or dinner list....great info about the construction though - Thanks!

Buffalo
reviews: 19
7. Re: Hockey game and shopping - where to stay

If you stay downtown, their are great shopping districts in the Allentown District (all of Allen St.) and Elmwood Village (Elmwood Ave. from Allen to Forest Ave. 4 miles of retail, restaurants, art galleries and museum district to the north end). And depending on hotel, you may be within walking distance to the Metro Rail which takes you directly to First Niagara Center.

Reply to: Hockey game and shopping - where to stay
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted