We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is downtown Buffalo safe?

Which Buffalo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dubai, United Arab...
reviews: 19
Is downtown Buffalo safe?

I just wanted to know how safe is downtown Buffalo. My husband and myself will be staying either at Comfort Suites Downtown or in Doubletree Hilton Downtown. We will be there for atleast 2 and a half months with my husband travelling often on business.

I'm not sure how Buffalo is in the night or even in the daytime. So if anyone would be willing to advise me I'd appreciate it :)

Buffalo, New York
reviews: 66
11. Re: Is downtown Buffalo safe?

Ignoring the crime and safety issues why would you spend 2.5 months in downtown Buffalo? There is very little to do there. I see you are from Dubai. Better to stay in the suburbs where it is much safer. Is there a reason you have to stay in Downtown Buffalo? After 6PM it's like a ghost town.

Buffalo, New York
12. Re: Is downtown Buffalo safe?

I've been downtown on many occasions in the early hours of the morning.

While the Chippewa Clubbing scene can be rowdy, I'm never seen anything worse than your standard bar fight. Crime does happen, but its rare. During the day the the worst you experience is the occasional panhandler.

You sound like a suburbanite who has not ventured from the suburbs since the 1970s. Things have changed. Downtown is pretty tamed.

Edited: 10:17 pm, June 24, 2013
Buffalo, New York
13. Re: Is downtown Buffalo safe?

Downtown is pretty safe.

I've been there many times, even early in the morning after hitting the bars and I've never encountered any trouble. However, crime does happen on occasion, so you should keep your wits about you...like you should in any urban environment.

During the day it is a superbly safe environment. The only thing you have to worry about are the homeless who beg for money.

Not many people live downtown (though that is changing), so outside the workweek the place can seem like a ghost town. However, there are always pockets of activity. Downtown is home of various museums and art galleries such as the largest inland naval park and museum in the US, the Transportation Museum, Hall Walls Contemporary Art Gallery, The Penny Arcade Art Gallery, and the Big Orbit Gallery. It is also home to a NHL hockey team, NLL lacrosse team, and a AAA baseball team. Furthermore there is the theater district, numerous restaurants, and the Chippewa Nightlife district.

The only things downtown lacks are shopping, and a local population to support retail...but Allentown is a quick walk to the North.

Buffalo's crime rate is down decade over decade by large amounts. The dirty dingy dangerous city of the 70s and 80s no longer exists, and gives many people who see Buffalo through those lenses misconceptions that the city is still like that. If you stay West of Mainstreet and East of Richmond, you are in a safe area of the city north to south.

The West side (West of Richmond) still has pockets of crime and bad neighborhoods, but it is gentrifying fast.

The East side (East of Mainstreet) is by far the most dangerous area of the city (though there are some nice places as well) and is where most of the gang related violence occurs. If you stay downtown, or in Allentown, or in Elmwood/Delaware, or in North Buffalo/Parkside/North Park you are more than safe even at night.

Buffalo, New York
14. Re: Is downtown Buffalo safe?

Yeah...but areas of the city widely differ by the amount of crime that takes place. Downtown is 1000% safer than the rough neighborhoods on the Eastside where the majority of the crime takes place.

Buffalo is lucky that it has a strong core of vibrant neighborhoods. Elmwood, Allentown, North Buffalo. All great, safe, and vibrant locations filled with middle (and sometimes upper class families).

Chicago, Illinois
15. Re: Is downtown Buffalo safe?

i have a question, im going to stay at the doubletree hilton and have to get to the nigara convention center in downtown, will it be safe to walk there back and forth or are there a lot of taxi cabs around there? thank you

16. Re: Is downtown Buffalo safe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 2:00 am, February 20, 2014
Edited: 2:00 am, February 20, 2014
Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
reviews: 41
17. Re: Is downtown Buffalo safe?

It would be a long walk, and with all the construction underway on the Buffalo Niagara Medical Campus, it would also be an obstacle course.

Generally you will not find taxis idling and waiting for fares in the area around the DoubleTree. If you'd like to travel by cab, I'm sure the people at the DoubleTree will be happy to call one for you.

However, you're only a couple of blocks away from the Allen-Medical Campus subway station. You could easily walk there and take the subway to a station near the Convention Center. (I'm pretty sure it would be the Lafayette Square station, but not positive.)

Buffalo, New York
reviews: 66
18. Re: Is downtown Buffalo safe?

If I were you I would take a cab. Downtown Buffalo is not the safest place and depending on the time of day you are travelling it could be hazardous. Its not worth risking you life over the price of a short cab ride.

Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
reviews: 41
19. Re: Is downtown Buffalo safe?

I work on the Buffalo Niagara Medical Campus (right next door to the DoubleTree, in fact) and my son lives in that area -- and walks everywhere -- so I know something about safety in that part of the city. As in any city, you should be careful not to walk alone at night and take the usual precautions, but you would not be "risking your life" to walk to the subway station and ride down to the Convention Center. That is a patently alarmist statement.

New York State, USA
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
reviews: 19
20. Re: Is downtown Buffalo safe?

Hi Chris E, Everything Pastiche has said is correct. If you take the subway ($2 one way) you would get off at Lafayette Square and turn right on the corner (Court Street). Walk down Court St. 2 blocks and turn right on Franklin to the Convention Center. An alternative is to exit at Fountain Plaza and walk through an indoor walkway inside the Hyatt Hotel (this is preferable if it's cold or raining). This will take you to Pearl Street where you exit, cross the street, and walk between the Convention Center and the old YMCA building (see this link: buffaloah.com/a/wmoh/ymca/source/4.html ) to get to the entrance on Franklin Street. Hope this helps!

-Dee