We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flagstaff Where to ride?

Which Flagstaff hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
White Salmon...
Flagstaff Where to ride?

On May 2nd I am leaving Washington State and headed to pick up my son at NAU! I am allowing an extra 5 days to have fun and explore the area. I am bringing my Mt bike and my streel legal XR650 dualsport motorcycle. I have the lodging, food, and mt bike trails figured out from dropping off my son last fall and a weekend visit. I would like some help on where to ride the XR. I plan to explore the forest service roads around Flagstaff but don't know where to ride especially around Sedona and other nearby areas. I don't plan to ride hard but love scenic dirt rides! So if you have a favorite jeep, 4X4 or non extreme ATV / dirt bike ride in the area please share. I don't mind some highway riding to get to and from the rides. I am figuring temps around Flag will be high 60 ish low freezing ish. Hopefully lots of sun! Thanks!

BTW during the drop off visit I explored the Wupati and another nearby ruin. I plan to visit the Riordan Museum this trip. Can't wait to hit the road!

14 replies to this topic
White Salmon...
11. Re: Flagstaff Where to ride?

Thanks for the heads up Majnuni Yes mud is my biggest nemesis when riding. I ride in remote areas quite a bit so I have an large gas tank, and have geared up the bike to stay moving the best I can. I run the heavyest tubes in the tires that you can get cary slime and CO2 for refilling. I have done some desert riding so I understand and take heed of your cautions. I have an idea of the area because we got caught in the re-route when I dropped my son off last fall. We came through Page not aware of the slide so we went around the areas you have linked and we gassed up at a little gas station store somewhere near Tuba city.

I have found some routes in Flagstaff, RedRox turned me onto a nice spot to ride in Sedona. There are the Navajo Nation or Grand Canyon loop I plan to do one day! I want to ride up to snowbowl if I have a warm enough day. I have my Mt bike routes planned. Flag has some awesome riding and you can pick your terrain and difficutly level. Riordan museum and a late afternoon wandering downtown. Likewise wandering in Sedona. I am adding to the list visiting one of the Native American cultural centers (which may result in the Grand Canyon loop happening another time) I am also toying with an afternoon horseback ride. Last fall I stumbled onto the county riding arena just outside of town and it is awsome. There has to be an afternoon trail ride option close by! And of course there is just jumping on the Mtbike and cruising the urban trails. Now just keeping my fingers crossed for sunny warmish (as in not a cold snap) weather. Saw snow on a NAU post yesterday. It has been a soggy spring at home. I am so ready to go!

Boston...
reviews: 15
12. Re: Flagstaff Where to ride?

Well, sounds like you're all set!

If you really want to get people talking at the Hopi Cultural Center or on Navajo land, ask them their opinion about Snowbowl.

White Salmon...
13. Re: Flagstaff Where to ride?

So I just googled Native American concerns with Snowbowl and got the scoop. Yes, I am sure that when I ask I will get a lively discussion about Snowbowl and burial grounds. I have lots to learn about the area I see! I leave Friday which will probably take forever to get here. It is going to be a long 4 days at work this week. Thanks for the tidbit of info Maj!

White Salmon...
14. Re: Flagstaff Where to ride?

Just want to thank everyone for their input. I had a great visit. I didn't ride the XR as much as I planned because the storm and the cold snap that rolled in. Which meant more time on the Mt bike and a bit more time near Sedona in red rock country. I had a great time and already have a list of things to do for the next visit.

I hope the crews are getting a handle on the fire. I heard mention of it on a post from NAU and have been following it from what the major TV stations post on the net. It is a shame such beautiful country is burning up but I have read crews have back burned to protect homes and structures. I noticed driving 89A from Sedona to Flagg in the evening that you can smell wood fire smoke routinely. I know that those could be in a well protected fire pit or a fireplace at a resort or those clay fire things. Just odd that the area on fire is near where I smelled the smoke driving the highway. Hope this is all there is until the monsoons!

Thanks again and I hope the crews get this fire out soon! Take care all!

Reply to: Flagstaff Where to ride?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted