We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flagstaff "Do not Miss" Suggestions?

Which Flagstaff hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Flagstaff "Do not Miss" Suggestions?

mom and I are heading from page to Flagstaff tomorrow, Thursday, and staying until Saturday morning. We will be stopping at Watpatki National Monument on the way down. Is visiting The Petrified Forest worth our time? Any thoughts on Walnut Canyon? Mom is mobile but has a sore leg; how much hiking is there? Any other suggestions of Flagstaff Must Do?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
44,983 posts
154 reviews
1. Re: Flagstaff "Do not Miss" Suggestions?

PFNP is almost 2 hours away from Flagstaff. Walnut Canyon NM is much closer. If you want to have a real hands on visit you'll need to descend a long stairway, and of course climb back up when you're finished.

There's a lot of history at Flagstaff. Start in the old town district. The Riordan Mansion provides a great perspective on the past. The Museum of a Northern Arizona is favorite for Native American history in the region.

tucson, az
Level Contributor
2,844 posts
9 reviews
2. Re: Flagstaff "Do not Miss" Suggestions?

The Walnut Canyon Visitor Center is up top and while I would not suggest walking down to Mom (walking down was easy- the walk back up nearly did me in. I felt wimpy until the very athletic looking young woman who came up after me was just as winded as I was), she can check things out there and peer down.

Have you comsidered Lowell Observatory? It's where they discovered Pluto.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
58,545 posts
42 reviews
3. Re: Flagstaff "Do not Miss" Suggestions?

If you are interested there also is Meteor Crater east of Flagstaff closer than Petirified Forest and there's an elevator to the rim of the crater.

4. Re: Flagstaff "Do not Miss" Suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, April 26, 2015