We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flagstaff "Do not Miss" Suggestions?

Which Flagstaff hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 5
Flagstaff "Do not Miss" Suggestions?

mom and I are heading from page to Flagstaff tomorrow, Thursday, and staying until Saturday morning. We will be stopping at Watpatki National Monument on the way down. Is visiting The Petrified Forest worth our time? Any thoughts on Walnut Canyon? Mom is mobile but has a sore leg; how much hiking is there? Any other suggestions of Flagstaff Must Do?

3 replies to this topic
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
reviews: 119
1. Re: Flagstaff "Do not Miss" Suggestions?

PFNP is almost 2 hours away from Flagstaff. Walnut Canyon NM is much closer. If you want to have a real hands on visit you'll need to descend a long stairway, and of course climb back up when you're finished.

There's a lot of history at Flagstaff. Start in the old town district. The Riordan Mansion provides a great perspective on the past. The Museum of a Northern Arizona is favorite for Native American history in the region.

tucson, az
reviews: 5
2. Re: Flagstaff "Do not Miss" Suggestions?

The Walnut Canyon Visitor Center is up top and while I would not suggest walking down to Mom (walking down was easy- the walk back up nearly did me in. I felt wimpy until the very athletic looking young woman who came up after me was just as winded as I was), she can check things out there and peer down.

Have you comsidered Lowell Observatory? It's where they discovered Pluto.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
3. Re: Flagstaff "Do not Miss" Suggestions?

If you are interested there also is Meteor Crater east of Flagstaff closer than Petirified Forest and there's an elevator to the rim of the crater.

Reply to: Flagstaff "Do not Miss" Suggestions?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted