We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hy 66 recommendations?

Which Flagstaff hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Blair, Nebraska
reviews: 12
Hy 66 recommendations?

A recent tour bus stop in Seligman rekindled my interest in Hy 66 from the 50's. So we plan on returning soon and include Flagstaff where I spent time in the 50's. Plan on doing Hy 66 from Winslow to Oatman. Any recommendations of highlights? Remnants of architecture, signs and general atmospere of the period? Or, better yet, still active businesses? And specific establishments for food and drink, whether from that period or not?

I posted this on the Seligman forum and received excellent info. But probably not all Hy 66 experts happen to check in on the forum for that town.

26 replies to this topic
Banff National...
reviews: 16
21. Re: Hy 66 recommendations?

majnuni, you couldn't have said it better....

Stayed at Tucumacri New Mexico (Blue Swallow and Safari Motel) both spotless

Holbrook (Wigwam ) small but nostalgic

Seligman (Canyon Lodge) spotless.... some of the rt66 hotels I stayed at....

Stayed in a lot of rt66 motels and never ran into any transients....they were tucked away in the cheaper chain hotels along the interstates.......Wrong impressions of rt66 here......also

great dining too....Stretch of 66 from Seligman to Oatman best in America, my opinion......

Edited: 2:25 pm, April 08, 2014
Blair, Nebraska
reviews: 12
22. Re: Hy 66 recommendations?

Interesting discussion on who stays at which motels. Judge them individually I guess. Some good tips here. Thanks to all!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
23. Re: Hy 66 recommendations?

Joe, do you know what happened to "Bob's" motel in Williams where we stayed back in 2007? That was a real R66 experience for sure!

Banff National...
24. Re: Hy 66 recommendations?

When we stayed there in 2007, it was nice but soon after it changed hands and new owners seemed like real beauties.Stopped there to see Bob to say hello a few years back....seen new owners....

I think the new name is the Grand Motel.. Rift-Raft everywhere.....

By the way, Williams has some good restaurants, especially the Red Raven where we had dinner with you and "A".

Now you have to fill me in on the mystery of the old Bob's Motel..the real r66 experience ??????

PM if ???

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
25. Re: Hy 66 recommendations?

I mean that motel itself and the stories of Bob! Thanks Joe.

Banff National...
26. Re: Hy 66 recommendations?

Agree 100%, we stayed there at the right time when Bob had it....why people knock these places beyond me,best part, they probably never stayed over.....hope they don't scare OP off rt66 for the most boring interstates and their lodging. Them 2 1950's motels in Tucumcari AWESOME....Spotless..50's what more could you ask for...Tet if you can find the time,maybe see you in Page or Moab after your meet-up...

Reply to: Hy 66 recommendations?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted