We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hy 66 recommendations?

Which Flagstaff hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Blair, Nebraska
reviews: 19
Hy 66 recommendations?

A recent tour bus stop in Seligman rekindled my interest in Hy 66 from the 50's. So we plan on returning soon and include Flagstaff where I spent time in the 50's. Plan on doing Hy 66 from Winslow to Oatman. Any recommendations of highlights? Remnants of architecture, signs and general atmospere of the period? Or, better yet, still active businesses? And specific establishments for food and drink, whether from that period or not?

I posted this on the Seligman forum and received excellent info. But probably not all Hy 66 experts happen to check in on the forum for that town.

Vancouver...
reviews: 24
1. Re: Hy 66 recommendations?

Have you been to the Rte 66 website yet? Chuck.

http://www.historic66.com/

roadtripusa.com/routes/route66/route66.html

West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
reviews: 57
2. Re: Hy 66 recommendations?

There are a lot of vintage motels along Rte. 66 in Flagstaff, but they're more fun to look at than to sleep in, would be my guess.

The Crown Railroad Cafe on east Rte. 66 might be a fun option for you. Also, the Galaxy Diner, although part of a chain, is fun for a nostalgic-style Rte 66 meal (west Route 66).

Honestly, Williams probably takes better advantage of the history, and for a really great Rte. 66 trip down memory lane, Albuquerque really makes the mark, IMO.

Blair, Nebraska
3. Re: Hy 66 recommendations?

Thanks to you both. I should have realized there is a Rt. 66 website. Will use them both. And appreciate the cafe recommendations. And, yes, probably would not sleep in a 50's motel but would like to see them. Thanks again.

Boston...
reviews: 16
4. Re: Hy 66 recommendations?

I think you should go all the way to Holbrook, AZ, half an hour east of Winslow, and stay at the Wigwam Hotel. That's a vintage hotel that is actually comfortable.

Other than that, I'm with poster #2: the Crown Railroad Cafe and the Galaxy Diner in Flagstaff are highlights for me. The CRC has the best cherry pie ever. Next door, the Museum Club (aka "the Zoo") is really fun for kicking up your heels or just looking at the taxidermy.

Between Oatman and Kingman is Sitgreaves Pass, one of the best preserved parts of old Route 66. I love feeding the burros in Oatman.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
5. Re: Hy 66 recommendations?

Feeding the burros is not recommended anymore. It can cause sickness to them. Never feed the young ones. On the stretch between Seligman and Kingman you'll find Hackberry and an old schoolhouse in Valentine. Between Kingman and Oatman before Sitgreaves pass there's Cool Springs (restored fuel station and small museum) and Ed's Camp (private property so only stop along the roadside. West of Sitgreaves pass is a working goldmine but you can't visit it.

Tet

West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
reviews: 57
6. Re: Hy 66 recommendations?

Oh, yes, Museum Club. I forgot about that. Good recommendation. For the OP, it's a bit of a roadhouse, to give you an idea of what to expect.

Tet, I didn't know they had recommended to stop feeding burros in Oatman. When I was last there the shops were selling special food for them.

Rarely, it seems,do people include Oatman in their Route 66 itineraries, but it's always nice for me to read when they do as my grandfather used to tell the story of his Route 66 story from the '60s and it included Oatman.

Enjoy your trip!

Boston...
reviews: 16
7. Re: Hy 66 recommendations?

I didn't know that about the burro feeding ban either. Regardless, I love Oatman.

Of course, Route 66 also goes through the Petrified Forest / Painted Desert NP. On one stretch, a plaque next to a rusted-out old car serves as a sort of commemoration of the Mother Road. We stopped there and watched an endless freight train go by.

Try the coconut cream pie at the Galaxy Diner. It's sublime.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
8. Re: Hy 66 recommendations?

We also always fed the Oatman burros but please read this from Oatman's Chamber of Commerce (last sentence)

http://oatmangoldroad.org/burros.htm

Santa Fe, New Mexico
reviews: 63
9. Re: Hy 66 recommendations?

I reckon a uniformed BLM Bureaucrat ,attempting enforcement, would be run outta town on a rail... carracar

Blair, Nebraska
10. Re: Hy 66 recommendations?

Thanks to all. Excellent information! I suddenly realized that I have been calling it Highway 66 when any dummie knows its Route 66! Sorry.