We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our proposed itinerary

Which Flagstaff hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, TX
reviews: 25
Our proposed itinerary

Yes, I know it is not nearly enough time in Sedona but you guys must understand that there is so much to see and do in Arizona and we only have a few days and not nearly enough dollars to do all we would like to! This is for older me, younger daughter, and two grandkids ages 8 and 11.

Day 1

Arrive Las Vegas, NV 01:30 p.m. Overnight here.

Day 2

Hoover Dam Tour

Grand Canyon Caverns

Drive through Seligman

Arrive Tusayan, AZ Appx 6:30 p.m. (I think)

Grand Canyon IMAX Theater

2-nights at Thunderbird Lodge

Day 3

Shuttle to see the Grand Canyon

Day 4

Drive to Flagstaff, AZ via Desert View

Day 5

Eldon Pueblo (they have working archeologist)

Wuptaki National Monument Ruins

Sunset Crater

Meteor Crater

Lowell Observatory

Day 6

Hitching Post Stables

Palatki Ruins

Sedona

Chapel of the Holy Cross

Day 7

Snow Bowl – Ski Lift

Bearizona

Day 8

Drive back to Las Vegas

Williams Train Depot – Gun fight! 9:00 – 9:30

Depart Las Vegas - 4:00 p.m.

12 replies to this topic
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
reviews: 134
11. Re: Our proposed itinerary

Arriving one hour before sunset will put you in the heart of the rush to get to Mather Point for sunset. Regular readers understand that it's better to be inside the park and sitting on the rim by that time. Nevertheless, thousands of visitors think that as long as they get there for the moment of the actual sunset they will witness something. Hence the crush. It never fails.

You'd be better off stopping at the IMAX theater and then going into the park a little later. There will still be a huge traffic jam even though most of the traffic will be going in the opposite direction. Best way to avoid it all is to get there a couple of hours earlier. The earlier in the day that you arrive, the less traffic you will encounter.

Your itinerary is workable as long as you understand what you'll find between Tusayan and the rim.

Houston, TX
reviews: 25
12. Re: Our proposed itinerary

That's what you guys do best! You help people make informed decisions!!

So, we will stay with the plan as is. Hopefully the kids will have taken any "necessary" naps as we drive down the road and will be wide awake for the movie.

I am a native Houstonian and am working downtown. I am very familiar with traffic jams and crowds. (Yuk!) I am looking forward to being out of the big city even if there are crowds. I'm just hoping they will be a bit smaller than the jams and crowds I am accustomed to.

Thanks again!

Reply to: Our proposed itinerary
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted