We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our proposed itinerary

Which Flagstaff hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, TX
Level Contributor
72 posts
31 reviews
Our proposed itinerary

Yes, I know it is not nearly enough time in Sedona but you guys must understand that there is so much to see and do in Arizona and we only have a few days and not nearly enough dollars to do all we would like to! This is for older me, younger daughter, and two grandkids ages 8 and 11.

Day 1

Arrive Las Vegas, NV 01:30 p.m. Overnight here.

Day 2

Hoover Dam Tour

Grand Canyon Caverns

Drive through Seligman

Arrive Tusayan, AZ Appx 6:30 p.m. (I think)

Grand Canyon IMAX Theater

2-nights at Thunderbird Lodge

Day 3

Shuttle to see the Grand Canyon

Day 4

Drive to Flagstaff, AZ via Desert View

Day 5

Eldon Pueblo (they have working archeologist)

Wuptaki National Monument Ruins

Sunset Crater

Meteor Crater

Lowell Observatory

Day 6

Hitching Post Stables

Palatki Ruins

Sedona

Chapel of the Holy Cross

Day 7

Snow Bowl – Ski Lift

Bearizona

Day 8

Drive back to Las Vegas

Williams Train Depot – Gun fight! 9:00 – 9:30

Depart Las Vegas - 4:00 p.m.

Central Florida...
Level Contributor
404 posts
1. Re: Our proposed itinerary

I would drive the car into GCNP. The shuttles do not go along the east rim drive to desert view, one of the best views in the park. The local DEs will give you more advice. Staying inside the park is my preference, if rooms are available.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
44,953 posts
154 reviews
2. Re: Our proposed itinerary

The OP is staying inside the park at Thunderbird Lodge. Arriving Tusayan at 6:30 will put you in the middle of a massive traffic tie up. Just be aware.

Good advice though to drive own car from GCV to Desert View and back along the east road. Use the shuttle for the west road to Hermit Rest. Include Wupatki and Sunset Crater on day 4 on the way to Flag.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
1,837 posts
8 reviews
3. Re: Our proposed itinerary

As I understand the itinerary, they will be doing the west road via shuttle on day 3. Make sure you leave time to explore the village too. Day 4 has them checking out the east road viewpoints as they leave. Yes, go to Wupatki and Sunset Crater on Day 4. Then on day 5, include seeing Walnut Canyon Nat'l Monument along with Meteor Crater.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
72 posts
31 reviews
4. Re: Our proposed itinerary

I would like to take every shuttle route we can and then drive to the places the shuttles do not reach to the east. And yes, we will be driving to the exit via Desert View. The village is along that path and has gotten high remarks.

I had no idea there would be enough time to hit all the scenic stops, tour the little village, and also go to Wuptaki and Sunset Crater on the same day! That is very good news! However, the Walnut Canyon reviews indicate it is a strenuous hike and I don't know if I am up to it. Do you have any alternative activities/sites you can suggest?

Is Cameron Trading Post something we should consider going to or is it out of the way for us? It sounds like an interesting stop, but time alotments are hard to guesstimate.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
72 posts
31 reviews
5. Re: Our proposed itinerary

I'm sorry, you meant GCNP village and I thought you meant Tusayan Village. Yes, I would like to see both!

I would like to do the shuttles the first day and then drive to the east stopping at all the vista points along the way out. Stopping at Desert View and Tusayan Village, etc. as we exit.

And also, thank you guys for your help. I've been reading your contributions for months and y'all give so much help to everybody. Please remember, you are helping folks who don't post too! Some of us are thinking the same questions and getting your answers vicariously!

Thanks!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
44,953 posts
154 reviews
6. Re: Our proposed itinerary

The east road from GCV to Desert View needs 2-3 hours. It's 30 minutes from DV down to Cameron Trading Post and a very good place to stop for a meal, bathrooms etc. the detour is only 1/2 mile. Then proceed to Wupatki and Sunset Crater. Allow 2-3 hours for that loop and once you are back on 89, it's only 20 minutes to Flagstaff. All easy to do in a day.

Walnut Canyon requires a steep descent down a stairway to the level loop path, and then the same climb back up the stairs. If you've ever been in a big football stadium, it's about the equivalent of walking from the field level to the top of the bowl.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
72 posts
31 reviews
7. Re: Our proposed itinerary

I have added your notes to my detailed itinerary.

I think I can manage the climb you describe in Walnut Canyon, somehow I imagined it was much worse. Maybe take a break along the way but that's okay!

WooHoo! I am sooo excited!

Thanks bunches!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
44,953 posts
154 reviews
8. Re: Our proposed itinerary

You might huff and puff a little, but the stairs have hand rails and there are benches to sit and rest.

West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
Level Contributor
2,092 posts
57 reviews
9. Re: Our proposed itinerary

Just to clarify, Tusayan is a tourist-service village outside the park with nothing really historic or interesting (other than the IMAX you've already decided to go to). Its main purpose is to provide a few hotels for overflow and some pretty bad food options for unsuspecting tourists. Since it's pretty much a one-street town, you can see it by just driving through.

Agree with all the others on the moving of Wupatki and Sunset Crater to the day you are exiting GC via Desert View.

You can also assess the hike down into Walnut Canyon from inside the visitor center (which you must pass through to get to the trail down into it). If it looks daunting, you can view from inside and then choose to hike the rim trail. You'll still get a view, just not the up-close-and-personal experience. But as has been mentioned, it's do-able for most folks with handrails and benches to rest on. Just remember to bring water bottles! The dry climate and elevation can make you thirsty quickly.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
72 posts
31 reviews
10. Re: Our proposed itinerary

RedRox - You said that arriving at 6:30 p.m. will put us in a major traffic jam. We are arriving on a Sunday evening and I was hoping that the jam would be the exodus out of the park rather than into it! But you think it will be very crowded at the entrance gate?

Also, do you think that this Day 2 time frame is doable/correct timing?

Day 2

Hoover Dam Tour

Grand Canyon Caverns

Drive through Seligman

Arrive Tusayan, AZ Appx 6:30 p.m. (I think)

Grand Canyon IMAX Theater

And last but not least, I have looked at the expected sunset for June and by this timetable we will be getting there one hour before sunset. We will have one more night there and will have an opportunity to see the sun set but, would it be best if we just hurried into the park to watch the sunset rather than going into the National Geographic movie? Day 3 looks packed with running the roads and trails.

Thanks for your input.