We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arizona 89A Closure

Which Flagstaff hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, TX
reviews: 32
Arizona 89A Closure

Hey Y'all -

We will be leaving GCNP on June 10th via Desert View and traveling to Flagstaff with planned excursions to Wuptaki and Sunset Crater as well as taking the scenic drive into Sedona.

But y'all say that the road will be closed.

How will my trip be affected and what are my alternates?

Thank you guys for all your help.

Tucson, Arizona
reviews: 13
1. Re: Arizona 89A Closure

You won't be able to drive all the way through Oak Creek Canyon because the switchbacks will be closed. The alternate route is I-17 from Flag to 179 into Sedona. For the scenic Oak Creek Canyon drive, you would have to drive up 89a from Sedona, then back down.

Houston, TX
2. Re: Arizona 89A Closure

Oh No! Say it isn't so! That is just heartbreaking! My once in a lifetime trip and they are cutting me off!

azdot.gov/projects/…overview

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
reviews: 146
3. Re: Arizona 89A Closure

You can still enjoy Oak Creek Canyon as a day trip from Sedona. You simply won't be able to drive it on your way to the Grand Canyon NP. If you don't have enough time budgeted for Sedona, change your plan now to include another day.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona
reviews: 8
4. Re: Arizona 89A Closure

Ms_Julie_T......The website you referenced is about the landslide and closure on Hwy 89 on the way to Page, AZ. That is different than the closure for maintenance which will occur on Hwy 89A between Flagstaff and Sedona from Memorial Day to July 4, as shown here:

azdot.gov/projects/…sr-89a-improvements

You should plan to stay in Sedona rather than just making a day trip from Flagstaff, which is what your post sounds like you are planning.

Tucson, Arizona
reviews: 13
5. Re: Arizona 89A Closure

Janss, this is what the OP is referencing:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g31352-i168-k72546…

The switchbacks on 89a in Oak Creek Canyon will be closed from Memorial Day through the 4th of July.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona
6. Re: Arizona 89A Closure

Yes, Mike, I know about the Oak Creek Canyon closure. But when I clicked on the link in the OP's reply #2, it went to ADOT's webpage about the landslide near Page. So I just wanted to clarify things.

Houston, TX
7. Re: Arizona 89A Closure

Thanks you guys. I appreciate your feedback and clarification.

Actually, we are staying in Flagstaff. Looking at all the things we want to see and do and reading all the reviews pertaining to accommodations, it looks to me like staying in Flagstaff will be a time saver, plus a little less expensive. It is a base of operations and not the primary attraction. It will be an action packed week.

A more leisurely vacation may come, God willing, in the future but, for now anyway we want to see as much of that part of Arizona as we can. I will post an itinerary on another thread.

I really think that the 89A closure is an important topic. So, for additional clarity let me ask, what do you mean we can drive from Sedona to Flagstaff on 89A? It does not look like that portion of the highway will be open. I'm a bit confused.

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
reviews: 100
8. Re: Arizona 89A Closure

None of the above posts state or insinuate that you will be able to drive 89A from Sedona to Flagstaff during your travel dates. That's not the case. You will have to take an alternate route. Review the information in the link in post #4 for more details.

Don't feel too bad about staying in Flagstaff. Flagstaff is a great city, but pales in comparison to both Sedona and the Grand Canyon. However, you should still be able to see both of them, unless you were planning on some sort of drive-by visit of Sedona.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
reviews: 146
9. Re: Arizona 89A Closure

Colin is correct. You will NOT be able to drive from Sedona to Flagstaff on 89A during the construction period. You can visit Oak Creek Canyon from Sedona on 89A. Your route from Flag to Sedona will be I-17 south to 179 and into Sedona from there. It's a slightly longer route, but takes no more time due to higher speed limits on the interstate.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona
10. Re: Arizona 89A Closure

Only a few miles at the north end of Oak Creek Canyon (Hwy 89A) will be closed. So you can drive up from the south (Sedona) to the point of closure.