We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gay friendly Flagstaff in december

Which Flagstaff hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 106
Gay friendly Flagstaff in december

This would be our first time visiting Arizona. We would like to visit Grand Canyon, Sedona and Antelope Canyon in december.

Logistically, Flagstaff is kind of our best option.

But while I would really like to visit those places, I am not too sure how gay friendly the whole area is. The attempt to let business owners deny service to gay and lesbian customers, among other things, doesn't paint a good picture.

It is my understanding that a fair amount of lgbt travellers visit the area in high season, but what about during the holidays?

Any lgbt travellers and/or residents in the area that care to share their thoughts?

17 replies to this topic
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
reviews: 129
11. Re: Gay friendly Flagstaff in december

You will not find any discrimination in any of the destinations you mention. Commuting from Flagstaff is a lousy idea, for all the reasons noted, especially in the winter.

Plan your trip around the destinations and disregard the politics.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona
reviews: 7
12. Re: Gay friendly Flagstaff in december

I haven't had a problem in over 20 years of living and traveling in Arizona. You will feel perfectly welcome here. You needn't concern yourself with the issue.

Henderson, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
reviews: 57
13. Re: Gay friendly Flagstaff in december

It seems as if you've gotten plenty of advice worthy of heeding above, but just to illustrate the point that others are making, that you needn't concern yourself with discrimination, there is a large gay community in Flagstaff and an annual pride festival held in town every summer (https://www.facebook.com/FlagstaffPride). Hope that helps.

Enjoy your visit!

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
reviews: 58
14. Re: Gay friendly Flagstaff in december

A town does not need a gay bar in order to be gay friendly. LGBT people also do not always seek out such establishments. What is desired is that businesses be non-discriminatory. The recent legislation on religious freedom, and the anti-immigrant laws we have, make Arizona look intolerant of minorities. And people stay away from AZ as a result.

What our state officials do has very little to do with how businesses behave in Arizona.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 106
15. Re: Gay friendly Flagstaff in december

Thanks everybody for your input!

I think based on the above, I think I will go to Arizona in December. I will add more time in Phoenix and visit Scottsdale as well.

Thanks again!

Phoenix, Arizona
reviews: 1
16. Re: Gay friendly Flagstaff in december

Flagstaff is an extremely open-minded town -- being a college town and hub for skiing, mountain biking, hiking and other outdoor activities. I personally like the idea of staying in Flagstaff for visiting the Grand Canyon and Sedona (not sure about Paige). We own a vacation rental property in Kachina Village (7 mi south of downtown Flagstaff) and have received extremely positive feedback from guests on the experience of doing day trips around the Flagstaff area to the locations you mentioned. Winter is my favorite season for visiting the Grand Canyon since it is so beautiful with the contrast of snow along the colorful cliffs.

Flagstaff, AZ
17. Re: Gay friendly Flagstaff in december

I'm the chairman of the Tourism Commission and I'm Gay. Flagstaff is very LGBT friendly. Although we have no gay bars, all of our bars are welcoming, especially the Uptown Pubhouse, Charly's at the Weatherford Hotel and The Green Room. For more information about our city visit flagstaffarizona.org

Reply to: Gay friendly Flagstaff in december
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted