We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gay friendly Flagstaff in december

Which Flagstaff hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 106
Gay friendly Flagstaff in december

This would be our first time visiting Arizona. We would like to visit Grand Canyon, Sedona and Antelope Canyon in december.

Logistically, Flagstaff is kind of our best option.

But while I would really like to visit those places, I am not too sure how gay friendly the whole area is. The attempt to let business owners deny service to gay and lesbian customers, among other things, doesn't paint a good picture.

It is my understanding that a fair amount of lgbt travellers visit the area in high season, but what about during the holidays?

Any lgbt travellers and/or residents in the area that care to share their thoughts?

17 replies to this topic
tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
reviews: 62
1. Re: Gay friendly Flagstaff in december

We can't discuss politics here, but the "religious freedom" bill that our legislature passed does not represent the people or the businesses of Arizona. And it was vetoed.

Logistically Flagstaff is not your best option. Your best option is to spend a few days in each location, not commute. Flagstaff is 1.5 hours from GCNP, 2.5 hours from Page and about an hour from Sedona.

It will not be warm in any of the places which you want to visit in December. In all locations it's going to be below freezing at night, and cool to cold in the daytime. Snow or freezing rain is a possibility, and of course cannot be predicted until much closer to your time of visit.

I would suggest flying into Phoenix. Start in GCNP. Plan two nights there. It is best to stay in the park lodges if possible. There should be plenty of availability in December. Book as soon as you know your dates.

grandcanyonlodges.com

Go to Page next. Other than Antelope Canyon, activities there are limited to visiting the dam and looking at the scenery. One night there should be sufficient. This is not the best time of year to visit Antelope Canyon as the sun does not penetrate into the canyon. Save Sedona for last. Spend at least 2 days there.

tucson az
Destination Expert
2. Re: Gay friendly Flagstaff in december

Another limiting factor about trying to stay in one location and commute to other attractions is that most of us here advise not to drive at night, other than in urban areas. It is very dark at night, plus unfamiliar roads and possible weather conditions, and it is an area where wildlife is often crossing roads at night. The drive to Page is especially desolate.

Toronto, Canada
3. Re: Gay friendly Flagstaff in december

Thanks for your prompt reply Bob.

Is the weather too different than, for example, Las Vegas? Because we were there in December and it was pretty nice although cool at night.

As for the snow and freezing rain, I heard that snow doesn't stay on the ground for long, is that so?

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
reviews: 12
4. Re: Gay friendly Flagstaff in december

The weather in Northern Arizona is much different than Vegas; it's an entirely different landscape, elevation, and climate. And snow does sometimes stick around, especially in Flag and at the GC. Just depends on the snowstorm and the time of year. It doesn't generally stick too long in Sedona, though.

tucson az
Destination Expert
5. Re: Gay friendly Flagstaff in december

The elevation of Las Vegas is 610 m asl. (2000 feet). The elevation at GC Village and Flagstaff is about 2200 m asl (7000 feet). Both are on extensive plateau. Th elevation makes for an entirely different climate than LV. In December, normal lows are are in the range of -10 - 0 C, and normal highs are 0-10 C.

For normal snowstorms, roads are cleared quickly. When snow is heavy, it may take a day for roads to be clear.

Page and Sedona are in between, normally freezing at night and 10-15 C daytime high. Having traveled to Toronto many times in winter on business, that might be somewhat balmy.

Edited: 4:35 pm, March 16, 2014
Toronto, Canada
6. Re: Gay friendly Flagstaff in december

LOL! -10 is actually very cold, even for these latitudes!

Thanks everybody for the replies!

So, leaving the cold weather aside do you guys think we can still enjoy the GC in december?

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
reviews: 222
7. Re: Gay friendly Flagstaff in december

You can enjoy the Grand Canyon any time of the year and if perhaps you get a bit of snow, it would be spectacular

Toronto, Canada
8. Re: Gay friendly Flagstaff in december

A friend of mine went in December and she said it was very cold but there was a bit of snow and it looked beautiful.

My major concern was/is if the area is gay friendly.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
reviews: 35
9. Re: Gay friendly Flagstaff in december

I have to agree with Bob's statement - what goes on in Arizona's legislature (which the media is quick to jump on and share with all the world) does not necessarily represent the vast majority of businesses and residents. We welcome visitors from around the world and want you to enjoy our beautiful state as much as we do.

Scottsdale, Arizona
10. Re: Gay friendly Flagstaff in december

Regarding your main question. Flagstaff is a university town with a high concentration of college students, and thus you will have no problem finding the gay community. None of the other towns are noted for having a gay community. If someone could name a gay bar in any of those towns it might be helpful.

Reply to: Gay friendly Flagstaff in december
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted