We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

24 Hours in Flagstaff. What to do?

Which Flagstaff hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, Texas
reviews: 1
24 Hours in Flagstaff. What to do?

I'll be in Flagstaff for just one day and one night and was wondering what places around town is good for tourism. Will probably be staying at the Weatherford hotel.

Thanks!

12 replies to this topic
Tempe, AZ
reviews: 4
1. Re: 24 Hours in Flagstaff. What to do?

The Weatherford has a great location, but be aware it can be noisy at night, particularly on the weekends as its bar is quite popular. Fun bar, though.

I'm not sure what your interests are, but if you're planning on eating I'll suggest these:

Breakfast: Criollo

Pizza: Pizzicletta

Burgers: Diablo's or Tinderbox Annex

Contemporary American: Tinderbox

French inspired: Coppa Cafe

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
reviews: 58
2. Re: 24 Hours in Flagstaff. What to do?

Will you have a car? Go to the Grand Canyon if you have never been. Just don't drive in the dark.

Austin, Texas
3. Re: 24 Hours in Flagstaff. What to do?

Thanks for the suggestions BoxingJohn. I'm definitely a foodie so I'll keep those places in mind.

As far as interests go I'm into scenic drives, museums, good outside patio to people watch at night while having a drink (I'll be solo), historic land marks, things like that.

And yes I'm aware of the noise level around Weatherford hotel. I'll be there on a Wednesday so hopefully it won't be too noisy but I always sleep with a loud fan anyway so I'm not worried about it. Plus I love staying in historic hotels.

Austin, Texas
4. Re: 24 Hours in Flagstaff. What to do?

Yes I will have a car but not sure I'm gonna hit the Grand Canyon. I've seen it before and would rather tour Flagstaff, have never been.

Tempe, AZ
reviews: 4
5. Re: 24 Hours in Flagstaff. What to do?

Patio to people watch and have a drink? There's a patio downstairs at the Weatherford and a large balcony on the second floor. People watch away.

If you're a foodie, don't miss Coppa Cafe. If you love Neopolitan pizza, I'd flip a coin between that and Pizzicletta.

There are museums in Flag that I am sure people will recommend. I typically only go there to snowboard, eat, and drink.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
reviews: 58
6. Re: 24 Hours in Flagstaff. What to do?

The historic part of downtown Flagstaff is a few blocks in each direction, plus the Riordan Mansion on Milton and the university. There's not much to tour. East of Flagstaff just outside the city off I-40 is Walnut Canyon NM, a prehistoric site with small cliff dwellings. On Hwy 89 north are Wupatki and Sunset Crater NMs, prehistoric buildings and extinct volcano respectively. Just north on Hwy 180 is the Museum of Northern Arizona which has good exhibits on native culture. There is also the Lowell Observatory.

Jerome, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Jerome
reviews: 14
7. Re: 24 Hours in Flagstaff. What to do?

A big thumbs up for the Riordan Mansion State Park, a 1904 13000 sq ft log duplex built by lumber baron brothers. It has much of its original furniture and stained glass. I think they have tours on the hour.

Henderson, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
reviews: 57
8. Re: 24 Hours in Flagstaff. What to do?

Lots of people watching available in downtown Flagstaff. The Weatherford will make a nice base for you. Maybe spend a little time on Heritage Square in the evening or late afternoon. You can't miss it - it's pretty much across the street from the Weatherford. There is a wine bar with an open patio facing onto the square. You didn't mention your date of arrival?

I second the recommendation for Riordan Mansion. It's a historic home and quite interesting as a landmark for the city of Flagstaff. You'll get the story of the Riordan's part in the formation of Flagstaff as a bustling lumber town. Also, check out the railroad history by stopping in to the visitor center/Amtrak station. It won't take long but since you enjoy landmarks, you may find this interesting.

Most people enjoy the Museum of Northern Arizona. I also enjoy the Pioneer Museum. Although it's small and not the best-funded museum around, it has an interesting collection of historic artifacts pertinent to the early days of Flagstaff.

As far as scenic drives, you can't do much better than to drive down highway 89A toward Sedona. You won't have time for much more than that in a day, but the drive alone is worth it if you feel like striking out a ways.

Can't argue with BoxingJohn's restaurant recommendations, but I will add that I enjoy MartAnne's for breakfast. It's a hearty start to your day and very tasty.

Enjoy your visit!

Austin, Texas
9. Re: 24 Hours in Flagstaff. What to do?

Valuable information! I have researched your suggestions and they look great!

What would I do without Tripadvisor?

Much appreciated!

reviews: 84
10. Re: 24 Hours in Flagstaff. What to do?

if you have any time left after doing activities as suggested by the wonderful TA experts you could always drive out to Winslow and "stand on the corner". We visited from Australia back in 2011 and a highlight for me, as a huge Eagles fan, was to visit Winslow.

Reply to: 24 Hours in Flagstaff. What to do?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted