We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flagstaff - best driving route??

Which Flagstaff hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
w va
Flagstaff - best driving route??

We are driving from Durango, CO to Tuscan, AZ and would like to spend the night halfway. We were thinking about Flagstaff. Does anyone have a suggestion for the best route and somewhere unique to stay? Thank you

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
reviews: 26
1. Re: Flagstaff - best driving route??

Hi Susan and welcome to the forum! In Flagstaff there are some top rated B&BS , my favorite being the 100 yr old The England House, also Little America hotel, set in the tall pines off I-40. It's a long drive from Durango to Flag, England House offers an open kitchen for snacks and there is on site dining at LA. On your next day on your way south, drive through Oak Creek Canyon and get a look at the red rock scenery of Sedona.

Edited: 11:04 am, September 08, 2013
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
reviews: 38
2. Re: Flagstaff - best driving route??

Another route which will take you south that has some interesting stops along the way:

From Durango south to Farmington NM, then further south to Gallup NM. Good stop for lunch and some shopping at Richardson's Pawn. Then west on I40 to Winslow AZ, stopping to see Petrified Forest Nat Park and stay at the La Posada Hotel, an old Harvey House hotel. Beautiful gardens, rooms and wonderful food at the Turquoise Room. From Winslow you can then head toward Phoenix and on to Tucson.

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
reviews: 98
3. Re: Flagstaff - best driving route??

Where is Tuscan, exactly?

Mapquest will route you on I-40 - I-17 - I-10, but this adds close to 80 miles and puts you right through Phoenix, and you should always avoid driving through Phoenix unless you have to go there for some reason.

I've done that drive a couple of times, and will try to keep it interesting by taking US 491 to Gallup, then I-40 to US 191 south to AZ 61 to US 60 to AZ 77. It's a very pretty drive. An alternative to that is to take I-40 to Holbrook and then AZ 77 south. I prefer the other route just because it's a little more pleasant. http://mapq.st/1auLVTn

For a halfway overnight, consider Gallup or Show Low.

A potential side trip - something that I do just to avoid the interstate - is to follow US 491 past Gallup as it turns into NM 602, then turn west onto NM 53. That takes you right through the Zuni Pueblo. If you're interested in turquoise, quartz, etc., it's not a bad place to buy it.

Good luck.

Edited: 5:13 pm, September 08, 2013
Santa Fe, New Mexico
reviews: 61
4. Re: Flagstaff - best driving route??

Welcome to the TA ... As a former Durango resident... I'll endorse #3's alternatives ... Show Low AZ. would make the most sense for a overnight stopover ... The AIRBnB site might turn up a interesting alternative to roadside lodging there ... carracar

5. Re: Flagstaff - best driving route??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, September 10, 2014