We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel for One night in Flagstaff near NAU? Plus maybe a hike

Which Flagstaff hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Las Vegas, Nevada
reviews: 2
Hotel for One night in Flagstaff near NAU? Plus maybe a hike

We will be arriving late to Flagstaff and will be up and out by 8 the next morning. Last time I picked the hotel poorly and ended up pretty far from NAU at a traditionally upper end chain hotel that was not so upper end in Flag ;) I am trying not to make that same mistake again. I don't need anything fancy. Just something close to NAU where I will feel safe arriving in the dark. I would really rather not pay a ton of money considering we won't likely even be there long enough to use the shower. Any ideas?

Also, I am torn between staying an extra night in Flag and then driving to the Grand Canyon the next day for a quick hike or finding something closer to Flag (or on the way back to Vegas) that is outdoorsy and adventurey. It will just be me and my 7 year old (both good experienced hikers) and my 3 month old. Any ideas?

Henderson, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
reviews: 57
1. Re: Hotel for One night in Flagstaff near NAU? Plus maybe a hike

Nothing in town is very far from NAU, but there are options bordering campus (Embassy Suites and the Drury Inn & Suites come to mind) and just a block or three away (Hampton Inn & Suites on Beulah, Courtyard, Hilton Garden Inn and any of the budget hotels located along Woodlands Village Blvd. could work). Hopefully this map will show you the pins of the hotels: http://goo.gl/maps/WnpA2

So, as far as a hike around town, have you considered Walnut Canyon National Monument (www.nps.gov/waca)? Just outside city limits at the east end, off I-40, is the site of Native American ruins that are within a canyon and involve something of a hike to get to (down a multitude of steps and back out again for the Island tour). That could be fun for the 7 y.o. and interesting for you, if you have a backpack carrier for the baby.

Also, Fat Man's Loop is good for a day hike when the weather is nice: http://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=357 , it is also on the east side of town so not on your way back to Vegas.

There is a short hike at Griffith's Spring on Highway 89A heading toward Sedona that is pleasant but won't take too long and is on the West side, but that wouldn't be my first choice for "adventure".

If I think of anything else, I'll come back and post. You could do a big loop up to the Grand Canyon, but it would be a lot of driving for a short visit. For the most bang for your buck, you'd want to drive up via Highway 89 north towards Cameron, then west on 64 into and through the park, exiting out the south entrance and heading towards Williams at Valle (still on 64).

Las Vegas, Nevada
reviews: 2
2. Re: Hotel for One night in Flagstaff near NAU? Plus maybe a hike

Am I reading the map right that Sedona is only about an hour from Flagstaff? Perhaps we will drive to Sedona and find something to do. I have always wanted to go there.

Henderson, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
reviews: 57
3. Re: Hotel for One night in Flagstaff near NAU? Plus maybe a hike

We've done it in about 45 minutes, depending on traffic. I would suggest the drive down highway 89A unless you are nervous about driving on roads with tight turns and big drop-offs. The view is stunning.

Tempe, AZ
reviews: 4
4. Re: Hotel for One night in Flagstaff near NAU? Plus maybe a hike

The Highland Country Inn is a clean and basic motel right across the street from NAU campus. I've stayed there a few times, about $60/night.

Sedona
Destination Expert
for Sedona
reviews: 31
5. Re: Hotel for One night in Flagstaff near NAU? Plus maybe a hike

We've stayed at the Drury right by the campus, and they do offer evening snacks and beverages as well as breakfast. But for your family, you may be happy with the above rec.

Also we've eaten at NiMarco's Pizza & Beaver Street Brewery near campus. Lots of moms & kids there for lunch at NiMarco's.

I hope you can come to Sedona. It would be a great place for you and your son to hike.

Edited: 5:31 pm, April 27, 2013
Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
reviews: 28
6. Re: Hotel for One night in Flagstaff near NAU? Plus maybe a hike

I imagine the OP has already come and gone, but I wanted to agree with Boxing John above about Highland Country Inn at Milton and Butler. Just the basics but good beds, very quiet, microwave and fridge, clean as can be and friendly, efficient service. The drive up put me off a bit, plain and unadorned, but the prices can't be beat if you just "need a decent, safe room" for the night.

7. Re: Hotel for One night in Flagstaff near NAU? Plus maybe a hike

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 02, 2014