We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Highland Country Inn

Which Flagstaff hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Gratiot
reviews: 1
Highland Country Inn

Arriving on Amtrak on a Friday night in October at, hopefully, around 9PM and looking for a motel for the night. Would this be a good choice? It appears to be fairly new and reasonably close to the Amtrak station. Reviews are pretty good. Just need a place to crash before heading to Sedona the following day. Thanks for your opinions.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
reviews: 134
1. Re: Highland Country Inn

It will be adequate. You'll need a cab unless you have a rental car waiting. That train is notoriously late for arrivals, often by as much as 2 hours.

Tempe, AZ
reviews: 4
2. Re: Highland Country Inn

For the price, it's fine. I've stayed there a few times. Walking distance to downtown.

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
reviews: 82
3. Re: Highland Country Inn

I've stayed at Highland Country several times. We're not talking "Ritz Carlton," but it was perfectly fine for my needs at the time (similar to yours, place to crash before heading to Point B).

As RedRox indicates, though, it's not really walking distance from the AMTRAK, so unless you're picking up a rental car that night (not sure if that's even possible) I would recommend a taxi also. Friendly Cab operates 24 hours a day, but you might want to pre-book since you're arriving fairly late (and the train has a tendency to arrive later than scheduled) ->: http://afriendlycab.com/ or phone 928-774-4444

For what it's worth, the Drury Inn & Suites is in roughly the same location as the Highland Country and is a newer property.

Henderson, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
reviews: 57
4. Re: Highland Country Inn

I'd walk it (with a companion), but I pack light in a rolling carry-on bag and Flagstaff is a pretty safe town.

However, if you're not packing light, not into walking long distances or don't feel like dragging your things through an unfamiliar area in the dark, the taxi is always an option.

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
reviews: 98
5. Re: Highland Country Inn

It's a half-mile walk. It's fairly nice and easy too, unless it's cold, and Flagstaff is generally very safe. It's easier to go south from the station and not have to use the underpass that Milton/Route 66 uses: http://goo.gl/maps/6A2Eq

You could always stop off at Beaver Street Brewery at the roughly half-way point to take a break. Good place for a break.

Highland Country Inn, to me, always seemed like an older but more well-maintained Super 8. They have microwaves and fridges in the rooms, and they've always been very clean when I've stayed there. It's one of the cheapest decent places you can get within walking distance to Downtown.

Fort Gratiot
reviews: 1
6. Re: Highland Country Inn

Thanks for all the input. Sounds like a pretty good place for one night before heading to Sedona.

7. Re: Highland Country Inn

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 24, 2014