We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Phoenix to Flagstaff vs. Sedona?

Which Flagstaff hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Driving from Phoenix to Flagstaff vs. Sedona?

I will be in Phoenix for a conference early in April. On a Friday afternoon, I will be landing in Phoenix not until about 4pm. I can't tell from other TA forums, primarily from a safety perspective, the time of day getting out of Phoenix on a Friday afternoon and the elk and curvy road conditions which route is the safer bet? My thought after plenty of research is Flagstaff on I-17, stay the night, then drive down 89 on Saturday to explore and enjoy the beauty of Sedona. Take all day for that and head back to Phoenix by Saturday evening. Thoughts? Ideas on usual traffic, daylight hours, safety of traveling alone for sightseeing, hiking, etc. Suggestions of must visit or must stay places while in Flagstaff for the evening and early morning? Do I need a 4 wheel drive for any of the travel?

Flagstaff, Arizona
reviews: 2
1. Re: Driving from Phoenix to Flagstaff vs. Sedona?

I would stay on I-17 at night there are deer and elk on either, but there are more Elk fences along I-17. Theese is usallly a decent amont of Traffic Coming from Phoenix to Flagstaff on a Friday night, but once out of Phoenxis traffic shouldnt be too bad. In April you shouldn't need 4WD to see all that you want to see.

Henderson, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
reviews: 56
2. Re: Driving from Phoenix to Flagstaff vs. Sedona?

If your main goal is to see Sedona, it would make more sense both logistically and from a safety standpoint to drive straight there (via I-17). You'd be going out of your way to go to Flagstaff first and then backtrack to Sedona, although the drive down Highway 89A (from Flagstaff to Sedona) is certainly breathtaking.

You do not need 4 wheel drive for any portion of this route.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
reviews: 116
3. Re: Driving from Phoenix to Flagstaff vs. Sedona?

No point in driving all the way to Flag. Take I-17 to exit 298 onto Hwy179 into Sedona. The wildlife issue would be farther up the road, closer to Flagstaff.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 43
4. Re: Driving from Phoenix to Flagstaff vs. Sedona?

You can be on the road by 5pm and sunset Sedona begin of april app is 6.50 pm so yes, you can do it imo.

5. Re: Driving from Phoenix to Flagstaff vs. Sedona?

Thank you for the help!

6. Re: Driving from Phoenix to Flagstaff vs. Sedona?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 30, 2014