We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good place for a quick dinner on the way to Grand Canyon.

Which Flagstaff hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pensacola, Florida
reviews: 159
Good place for a quick dinner on the way to Grand Canyon.

We will be coming through Flagstaff on the way from Sedona to the Grand Canyon and would like to find some place to grab a good quick dinner before continuing on to the Grand Canyon. As it will be and early dinner, and we are trying to make it to the Canyon before it gets too late, we don't really want to indulge in a slow atmosphere type place, just some place with good food and quick service. So far I haven't seen any place that fits the bill. We may just opt for a Five Guys burger since it is right on the way if you guys can't offer any other options. By the way we are planning on coming up I-17 to Hwy 180 the over to Valle and hwy 64. Thanks in Advance

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
reviews: 119
1. Re: Good place for a quick dinner on the way to Grand Canyon.

For a burger try Diablo's.

I'd advise getting to GCNP earlier. Flag is still over an hour away. Arrive before sunset and have a picnic on the rim. You don't want to be arriving there in the dark.

And in the evening, I'd follow I-40 to Williams and then up AZ64 to the park. You won't save any time by taking 180 even though it looks shorter. Williams will also have some fast dining options, and then a safer drive to the park.

Pensacola, Florida
2. Re: Good place for a quick dinner on the way to Grand Canyon.

Yes I know that it would probably be a better drive to go to Williams and then up 64, but since we will be returning this way from GCNP, decided to go up 180 for a different scenery. We plan on being to GCNP around dark, that is part of why we don't want to waste a lot of time in Flagstaff for dinner. That being said, we would rather have something besides a burger, but if that is our best option, we would opt for Five Guys, as we know they have good burgers.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
reviews: 55
3. Re: Good place for a quick dinner on the way to Grand Canyon.

Perhaps, Chinese buffet ? carracar

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
4. Re: Good place for a quick dinner on the way to Grand Canyon.

If you're looking for a different and more scenic route to GCNP, consider going up the east side via 89 to Cameron. Have a completely different afternoon meal there at Cameron Trading Post. From there you're 30 minutes to the GCNP east gate and then most of an hour to drive along the east rim road to the hotel zone.

You'll want to tour that east drive again on the following day to take time at the view points.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
reviews: 13
5. Re: Good place for a quick dinner on the way to Grand Canyon.

Another option is to simply grab dinner at the GC, if you can wait the extra couple of hours. I don't know what time you're leaving Sedona, but you could perhaps be at the GC in time for sunset, and then afterwards have a leisurely dinner at El Tovar, or one of the other restaurants. (Or have a picnic, as RR suggested.) Do make reservations at El Tovar if you decide to have dinner there.

Otherwise, your burger options in Flagstaff will probably be the quickest. Five Guys will likely be faster than Diablo, especially if you have a smart phone:

http://gofiveguys.com/Help/

Pensacola, Florida
6. Re: Good place for a quick dinner on the way to Grand Canyon.

We had actually gave dinner at the El Tovar some thought, but after reading the reviews on this site and Yelp, decided that one meal there would be quite enough. We plan to eat there the next evening after watching the sunset over the Canyon, so that is why we were hoping to find something good in Flagstaff prior to getting there on the first evening. Sounds like Five Guys is our best option. It is really interesting that in doing research for this trip, the food in the entire area from Phoenix to Las Vegas is mediocre and high priced. I guess being from the Gulf Coast of Florida, I am just spoiled by an abundance of really good restaraunts to choose from. Looks like we will be eating alot of burgers on this trip.

Henderson, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
reviews: 57
7. Re: Good place for a quick dinner on the way to Grand Canyon.

It's not necessary to stick to burgers! I'm not sure what kind of time you're thinking of spending at dinner, but there are lots of options between fast food and slow and leisurely.

For counter service -

Mexican: Burritos Fiesta (no website, you'll just have to trust me) in the Target shopping center parking lot (closer to Bookman's) is tasty and local, but closed on Sundays.

Barbecue: Bigfoot BBQ (http://bigfootbbq.com/) downtown in the Old Town Shops on Heritage Square (in the basement) is a local fave in a divey sort of way and Satchmo's (www.satchmosaz.com/satchmos/Welcome.html) is good, but more out of the way of your path.

Not sure if you have Pita Pit out east. It is a chain place that mostly pops up within walking distance of college campuses and is fast and tasty. They serve up a variety of menu items you can stuff in a pita and the majority of the time this one requires will be in finding parking. If the weather is nice, take your pitas out on Heritage Square and people watch while you eat. (www.pitapitusa.com/main.php…)

Wildflower Bread Co. is located just south of downtown off Butler Ave and is easy in and out with fresh options for soup, sandwiches and pasta in the evenings. You'll see this in Sedona, as well. Never disappointed (it is an AZ chain similar to Panera Bread, but I like it better. http://www.wildflowerbread.com/)

If you have a few extra minutes to spend and like pizza, I like Fratelli downtown (south of the tracks http://www.fratellipizza.net/). There are other pizza options that are as good or better, depending on your taste in pizza, but this is pretty good and relatively quick. You could call ahead with your order).

Mix is a custom salad/sandwich/pasta place also in the Old Town Shops. (http://mixflagstaff.com/)

Diablo Burger, as mentioned above gets good reviews, although I've never been there because I don't eat beef. It sounds like you want to avoid burgers, though. (at any rate, here is the link: http://www.diabloburger.com/Diablo_Burger/home.html)

I hope you find something that will meet your needs and desires! There are plenty of fresh and tasty options that don't take a lot of time.

Enjoy your trip!

8. Re: Good place for a quick dinner on the way to Grand Canyon.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 5:37 pm, March 03, 2013
Edited: 5:37 pm, March 03, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
9. Re: Good place for a quick dinner on the way to Grand Canyon.

Actually you can find plenty of very good (even gourmet) restaurant options between Sedona and Flagstaff. I could list scores. But that's not what the OP asked for.

For the record, Five Guys would be my LAST choice.

And regarding El Tovar, I have eaten breakfast and dinner there for 3-4 days in a row and not been unhappy about any of the meals, or felt that I had no variety.

Pensacola, Florida
10. Re: Good place for a quick dinner on the way to Grand Canyon.

Hummingbird37, all that I have to go by about the food quality is the reviews that are posted, since it has been 45 years since I have been to this part of the country. The reviews for this area are about as bad overall, as any place here in this country or outside of the U.S. As we are going on this trip, you are totally off base with your totally inaccurate assumptions that food is our only concern. I always do my research before any trip, and part of that research involves finding the best quality food that we can, as both my wife and I both agree, that if you are going to eat, it might as well be something that you can enjoy, not just something to fill you up. I have been the Grand Canyon many years ago when I went to school in Phoenix, before it became so comercialized, but my wife has never been, so this trip is more for her than me. Just a tip for future reference, if you can't just answer someones questions, don't waste your time or our time with your petty opiinions about someone else's motives. As a member of Tripadvisor, I have made many posts to help other travelers that are coming to the panhandle area of Florida, as well as Costa RIca, which we frequently visit. I try to just answer their questions, and not try to second guess their intentions or motives, Maybe you should learn to do the same.

On the other hand, a sincere thank you to Adventuritis for a very good answer to our question. This is what a good Tripadvisor does to help out visitors to their area.