We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

a hotel in Flagstaff within walking distance of downtown

Which Flagstaff hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Graz, Austria
Level Contributor
502 posts
69 reviews
a hotel in Flagstaff within walking distance of downtown

Hiya,

We've stayed in Flagstaff previously (Dec 2010), and we stayed at Drury's Inn. We found the location to be ideal as we were able to walk into 'downtown' and visit the bars and restaurants and then walk back to the hotel with neither of us having to worry about not being able to have a few beers. It was also handy for Borders books across the road, I walked down to Starbucks and Target as well a couple of times.

We will be staying in Flagstaff again Mid May (2013), for 4 nights, this time we will need 3 rooms for a larger group. We will be using Flagstaff as a base to visit places such as the Grand Canyon, Verde Canyon railroad, part of Route 66, some of the towns south of Flagstaff such as Jerome, Sedona etc.

We will just have one rental vehicle between the 5 of us, and not everyone will want to go along on every day trip, so some of us will be left behind in Flagstaff each day. I'm therefore looking for hotel suggestions within walking distance of downtown, so that the people left behind can walk in for coffee or beer etc, also so that the designated driver can walk in too at night and enjoy a few beers with dinner.

We have a low budget I'm afraid, and Drury's Inn is out of our price range this time at nearly $200 per night. We need to keep the nightly room rate below $100, ideally around $80 if that's possible. I'm a bit fussy about hotels and so I would gladly pay the Drury's Inn prices as we've stayed before and I know it's ok, but I have to stick to the group budget.

I'd be really grateful for any hotel suggestions that fit my criteria, walking distance to downtown, and cheap, but 'good quality' cheap if that's possible!!

Many Thanks

europe-chick

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
4,042 posts
66 reviews
1. Re: a hotel in Flagstaff within walking distance of downtown

I suggest you use reviews already posted on this site to make a selection... Then come back for advice in your choice... "Fussy" and low budget, are hard to reconcile... carracar

West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
57 reviews
2. Re: a hotel in Flagstaff within walking distance of downtown

Although I've not had personal experience, the Highland Country Inn across the intersection from Drury gets good reviews: tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60971-d483066-…

Another option is renting an entire house for your stay. Comfi Cottages of Flagstaff are located downtown and are a comfortable alternative: http://www.comficottages.com/

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60971-d72524-R…

Otherwise, if some are willing to use public transportation, the bus line is fairly reliable and goes to most areas of town on 30 minute intervals. You can check the route schedules and proximity to budget hotels here: www.mountainline.az.gov

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
4,177 posts
97 reviews
3. Re: a hotel in Flagstaff within walking distance of downtown

I've stayed at the Highland Country Inn several times over the years and was perfectly satisfied with it. I'm sure it's even better since the train horns have abated. There's also a Knight's Inn property nearby that is reasonably priced, which I also stayed at a few years ago without a problem. If you don't mind being just a teency bit further out, there's also an America's Best Value Inn and Super 8 property up Old Route 66. Map of the area using Highland Country Inn as a focal point ->: http://goo.gl/maps/F5CAi

If for some odd reason you can't find a satisfactory hotel in the area you're looking for and end up staying out a ways from the downtown area, the Mountain Line bus that FlagstaffTraveler mentions is quite reliable and reasonably priced. The Grand Canyon Store also offers a free on-call shuttle from all Flagstaff hotels to the downtown area. It's available from ~9 AM to 7 PM, and only goes from hotels to a central location downtown, so not meant to be used for bar hopping ;-) But if some of the group wants to hang back in Flagstaff yet come downtown to grab lunch or do some shopping, you just walk back to their office downtown and they'll take you back to your hotel when you're ready.

Edited: 10:58 am, December 28, 2012
Graz, Austria
Level Contributor
502 posts
69 reviews
4. Re: a hotel in Flagstaff within walking distance of downtown

Thanks to FlagstaffTraveller and K-Bot for the Highland Country Inn suggestion, and the public transport suggestions. Will take a look at all of those now.

Once again many thanks

europe-chick

Vancouver...
2 posts
5. Re: a hotel in Flagstaff within walking distance of downtown

Just for fun, check out the Hotel Monte Vista.

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
4,177 posts
97 reviews
6. Re: a hotel in Flagstaff within walking distance of downtown

The Monte Vista certainly is right smack dab in the downtown area. Historic, live bands, lots of character, supposedly haunted, 'nuff said ;-)

If you choose to stay at another hotel, but still would like to come downtown to check out the Monte Vista and other neat restaurants, shops, etc. in the area, I definitely recommend it, but - driving and parking downtown is an absolute nightmare! Trust me on this, I've been coming to Flagstaff for 25+ years. Take advantage of the Mountain Line Bus system, taxi, or free on-call shuttle offered by the Grand Canyon Store. The Grand Canyon Store's service is great because it's free, plus they give you a walking map of the downtown area which is printed on a manila envelope and in the envelope are a bunch of coupons for downtown businesses.

7. Re: a hotel in Flagstaff within walking distance of downtown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, January 05, 2014