We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flagstaff/Grand Canyon in mid March

Which Flagstaff hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Flagstaff/Grand Canyon in mid March

My daughter has spring break starting March 8th. Is this a good time to travel to the Grand Canyon? We aren't planning on doing any major hikes into the canyon. We just want to see great views from the rim and maybe hike a little ways down. Is the drive from Flagstaff advisable at this time of year for two women?

5 replies to this topic
Henderson, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
reviews: 57
1. Re: Flagstaff/Grand Canyon in mid March

More than likely, you will have no problem.

Weather averages generally indicate that March is the month of majority snowfall in Flagstaff and the region, however, I have yet to witness that being true in my subjective view from the time I've been in residence (or at least the last several years). Weather may be changing or because the ground is warmer and the days are a little longer, it just doesn't stick long. Either way, just watch the forecast and plan accordingly. You should be fine.

The trails may be icy even if it's been days or weeks since a snowfall, so inquire with rangers or use your common sense regarding hiking down in. It's worse in the areas that stay in shade throughout the day, so it may be in patches. Otherwise, you should be fine.

Chicago, Illinois
2. Re: Flagstaff/Grand Canyon in mid March

Thanks for your reply. It gives me a good idea of what the weather should be that time of year!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
reviews: 119
3. Re: Flagstaff/Grand Canyon in mid March

There is never a bad time to visit the GCNP. Just know that winter weather is likely in March, and be prepared. You're coming from Chicago, so you no doubt have the proper clothes. Include a hat and scarf and good gloves along with your normal winter layers.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
reviews: 58
4. Re: Flagstaff/Grand Canyon in mid March

Be sure to look at the website for GCNP so that you have an idea how big it is and what is there. I was just there a few weeks ago. I had one full day, and that was not enough to see all there is to see. If possible, spend a night in the park in a park lodge.

nps.gov/grca

grandcanyonlodges.com

Flagstaff, Arizona
reviews: 2
5. Re: Flagstaff/Grand Canyon in mid March

It is always a nice time to see the Grand Canyon no matter what time of year. I would caution that it is indeed the snowiest month in this area, but it all depends on whether there is a storm happening or not. Also, before hiking I would talk to the Park Rangers at the Canyon because sometimes you need crampons to hike the trails in the winter.

Reply to: Flagstaff/Grand Canyon in mid March
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted