We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

from austin tx to san diego ca

Which Flagstaff hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
from austin tx to san diego ca

I'm headed to the grand canyon last minute on my way to san Diego...where should I stay? Flagstaff? I'm a 21 year old female going with my dog..I've done the drive from san Diego to Austin before and I don't want to do it again by the border, thought id try another route and add a little mileage to see some great stuff. Any advice?

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
11. Re: from austin tx to san diego ca

No problem there at all. Juarez is dangerous but El Paso is not. We have been there several times driving I10.

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
reviews: 97
12. Re: from austin tx to san diego ca

El Paso is no more dangerous than Albuquerque, Phoenix, or Tucson. In any city, you're going to risk having things stolen out of the back of your truck if it's not covered and you're not watching it. That's just the nature of things. Get a tarp.

I usually avoid the I-10 route because of that stretch between El Paso and Boerne. Not because of any trumped up, sensationalized news stories about the border, but because it's horrendously boring. I've found US 90 to be more interesting, but it's out of the way from Austin. TX 71 to US 190 is also a little more interesting. But they'll add time to your drive. Jumping up to Flagstaff will add a lot of time.

If you're worried about getting the drive out of the way, then I would suggest you not visit the Grand Canyon this time. Just visit it again another time, when you have more time. I helped move my friend from San Antonio to Rancho Cucamonga several years ago, and another from Houston to Los Angeles a few years before that. Doing it in two days is really pushing it, to say the least, particularly if it's just you in the car. If you have "extra" time, I would suggest cutting your daily drive times and taking three days to do it.

Tempe, AZ
reviews: 4
13. Re: from austin tx to san diego ca

Given the OP's name, I'm guessing she isn't keen on running into Border Patrol stops along the border route and I-8. Just a hunch.

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
reviews: 97
14. Re: from austin tx to san diego ca

^^ Nice ;)

For I-10 to I-8 westbound, there's one west of Las Cruces and one at the California state line. Going north on I-25 from Las Cruces though, you also hit one. Just FYI. Keep the brownies to a minimum.

Tempe, AZ
reviews: 4
15. Re: from austin tx to san diego ca

^ An experienced traveler :)

16. Re: from austin tx to san diego ca

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, December 16, 2013