We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amtrak to Chicago

Which Flagstaff hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cottonwood, Arizona
reviews: 14
Amtrak to Chicago

Will be taking the SW Chief to Chicago in Sept, first time. Want to know if there are any shuttles from Cottonwood area that go to the Flagstaff Amtrak station that late (or early) for 3:30 am boarding. If not, is there a safe place I could hang out near the station until boarding time? Or will I have to stay overnite in Flag?

Santa Fe, New Mexico
reviews: 61
1. Re: Amtrak to Chicago

With the daylight savings non change... Boarding now is just after 4;30 AM ...I suspect, any shuttle service would be a daylight only operation...carracar

West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
reviews: 57
2. Re: Amtrak to Chicago

Unfortunately, shuttle service is limited. I believe Arizona Shuttle might be the only option, and at that, you will have to go from Sedona to Flagstaff and not at the time of day you're hoping for.

You can safely hang out downtown, no problem. Any time of year, the night air would be cool, so you'll probably be seeking an indoor space. The Amtrak Station does close and lock its doors during the night, reopening at some point before the scheduled arrival. Can't remember details, but I'm thinking 1 hour before. Bars (some just across the street) are under a city ordinance to close at 1 or 2 a.m. (can't recall, and can't find it online easily right now). There are some hotels with lobbies within walking distance, but not sure how long you could get away with just hanging out. Given the number of hours you will be waiting, I would really advise looking for an inexpensive motel room. There are several within walking distance of the train tracks. Do a Google map search and you should come up with good options.

Cottonwood, Arizona
3. Re: Amtrak to Chicago

Thanks for your information. Not what I wanted to hear, but helpful. Someone suggested that driving up via Oak Creek Canyon (early am) and parking in the station lot for 10 days or so might work. Any ideas about that? I don't especially like night driving.

West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
reviews: 57
4. Re: Amtrak to Chicago

I believe the station lot is free. At least it was (with pass from the Amtrak staff) at the time we used it years ago for a similar purpose. Good plan. I don't think I'd relish driving up 89A in the dark of night, though, unless you're very familiar with it.

Cottonwood, Arizona
5. Re: Amtrak to Chicago

Thanks for your input.

6. Re: Amtrak to Chicago

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, June 22, 2013