We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flagstaff to Grand Canyon

Which Flagstaff hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Merritt Island...
reviews: 40
Flagstaff to Grand Canyon

I'm trying to come up with a few ideas for a family vacation next summer to Grand Canyon. Is spending two days in Flagstaff and then heading to Grand Canyon for a few days a good itenarary? Can you fly into Flagstaff or is Phoenix the major airport? Thanks for any suggestions, help.

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
reviews: 49
1. Re: Flagstaff to Grand Canyon

The first thing you need to do is reserve your lodging in the park. A year in advance is really required if you want your pick of dates. (My preference for lodging is the newer lodges right on the canyon rim. If you ask for a canyon view, you'll wake up to sunrise lighting the walls of the canyon, and that's magnificient. El Tovar is turned "sidewise" to the canyon and has very few rooms with the view.)

It is possible to fly into Flagstaff, but you'll probably have to change planes in Phoenix, so why pay more to fly into Flagstaff? It's a short, interesting drive to Flagstaff from Phoenix. The vegitation changes from low desert to high desert, cactus to pine.

I would suggest staying your two days in Sedona instead of Flagstaff. Sedona is beautiful, has Native American ruins to see, jeep trips to take, beautiful red rocks to look at, good restaurants, slippery rock slide for the kids,.........and the list goes on.

Merritt Island...
reviews: 40
2. Re: Flagstaff to Grand Canyon

Thank you, that answered it. I believe we will stay 2 days in Flagstaff, 2 days at the El Tovar (just made the reservations) and then 2 days in Sedona. Anyone with more suggestions, please pass it along. Thanks.

phoenix arizona
reviews: 3
3. Re: Flagstaff to Grand Canyon

Here's some ideas for sights to see

Flagstaff area: Wupatki Indian Ruins/Suset Crater, Walnut Canyon Indian Ruins, Lowell Observatory (where Pluto was discovered, Riordan Mansion Museum, Museum of Northern Arizona, Meteor Crater

Sedona: Slide Rock State Park, Chapel of the Holy Cross, Tlaquepaque Shops, Red Rock Crossing (great view of Cathedral Rock), Oak Creek Canyon

Grand Canyon: Yavapai Pt (great for sunset), West Rim Drive Shuttle, El Tovar - Bfast, Hopi Indian dancers at Hopi House, Junior Ranger Programs, Desert View Pt.

Watford / London
reviews: 1
4. Re: Flagstaff to Grand Canyon

I visited the Grand Canyon 2 weeks ago, and I stayed in

Flagstaff, having flown into Phoenix from Portland.

I can throughly recommend the Museum of Northern Arizona.

http://www.musnaz.org/

It's the best $5 that I spent in 2 weeks.

Very interesting, well laid out and very good value.

Paul

CT
reviews: 30
5. Re: Flagstaff to Grand Canyon

Trying to decide which summer month to go..leaning towards August due to baseball season for my son. How hot is it in August? If we went in April is it warm enough that you want to swim in the pools at the hotel?

Oro VAlley Arizona
reviews: 1
6. Re: Flagstaff to Grand Canyon

To Psstreet. Hi. What lodges do you recommend? YOu said the newer ones near the rim. What are the names? I thought ElTovar was the nicest one. Thanks

Grand Canyon...
7. Re: Flagstaff to Grand Canyon

SilverStarfish: are you asking about Flagstaff or Grand Canyon? If GC, north rim or south rim? There are no swimming pools in GCNP.

Cactuscutie: I think they were talking about Kachina Lodge and Thunderbird Lodge at GC south rim. They have both street side rooms, and canyon side rooms that have a partial canyon view. You can find more information about our lodges and make reservations at www.grandcanyonlodges.com or call 888-297-2757 for reservations (outside the US call 303-297-2757).

Austin, TX
reviews: 226
8. Re: Flagstaff to Grand Canyon

I liked our Bright Angel cabin-style room better than El Tovar, which aside from the wonderful public lobbies and dining rooms just feels like a big hotel. If you stay in Bright Angel, you can walk up the rim to Tovar for dinner, but you feel more in nature than in the hotel. (Of course, we had an optimal room very near the rim.) Don't miss the Kolb Photo Studio exhibit on the rim, and take time to learn something about the human history of the park--it's as gratifying as the scenery. I'd also recommend reading up a little on Mary Jane Colter, the architect of GC "national park rustic" structures like Hopi House, Bright Angel, Watchtower, Phantom Ranch. It will enrich your visit to those places.