We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NC style barbeque near Murfreesboro

Which Murfreesboro hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
LaVergne, TN
NC style barbeque near Murfreesboro

Back some time ago, I read an article in the paper about a family-owned NC-style barbeque restaurant near Murfreesboro. I've since asked around but no one seems to know what I'm asking about. Can anyone help?

NC
reviews: 1
1. Re: NC style barbeque near Murfreesboro

Don't know the place but there are actually two styles of NC BBQ - the western part of the state leans toward ketchup based sauce and the eastern leans toward vinegar based.

LaVergne, TN
2. Re: NC style barbeque near Murfreesboro

It's a vinegar-based style. I grew up in Greensboro, NC and have become spoiled to the barbeque served by Stamey's in Greensboro. I moved to Tennessee about nine years ago and can't find anything in the Nashville-Murfreesboro area. I read about it in a local paper, but threw it out.

I've been just holding off until I make trips back to NC, but lately the craving for that sour vinegar based hickory smoked chopped barbeque is starting to get to me.

Florida
reviews: 10
3. Re: NC style barbeque near Murfreesboro

I know that kind of BBQ because my dad is originally from Morehead City, NC. It is soooooo good. My dad says, "BBQ is a noun, not a verb!" I don't eat the other BBQ-Wanna-Be's. :)

But, to answer your question, the only place we have found anything even close to it outside of eastern North Carolina is a little place down here in Florida, and even then it's a little too sweet. Just not the same. My parents buy a bunch when they go, put it in their cooler and then freeze it when they get home. And I think some place actually ships it in dry ice, but I'm not sure...and that would be really expensive.

Murfreesboro, TN
4. Re: NC style barbeque near Murfreesboro

Is it Whitt's BBQ, a local chain?

There is also a place called Goff's that is good, but in a convenience store. Been here for years.

LaVergne, TN
5. Re: NC style barbeque near Murfreesboro

No, not Whitts. I did find out that it was in Kitrell, but has since closed. Thanks for the replies, though. Guess I'll have to make regular trips to Greensboro and bring back some Stamey's BBQ. ;-)

6. Re: NC style barbeque near Murfreesboro

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 am, September 26, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Murfreesboro