We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gateway Lodge Cabin in Sequoia- anyone stayed here?

Which Three Rivers hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dana Point
Gateway Lodge Cabin in Sequoia- anyone stayed here?

I have booked 3 nights in the Gateway Lodge in Sequoia's "most popular cabin with an indoor sauna". It is for a wedding anniversary and I wanted something romantic. I am concerned however, because there are no pictures of the inside of this cabin anywhere on their website or on the internet at all. I was able to find one picture of the outside of the deck which looked pretty tiny. Their website has 2 pics of rooms, but the fact that there are none of the cabin is a red flag to me. Has anyone seen this place who can tell me if this is the romatic, clean and nice accomodation I am looking for to celebrate my anniversary? If anyone has traveled there and can post pics, that would be great too!

Thanks from a concerned traveler!

California
reviews: 50
1. Re: Gateway Lodge Cabin in Sequoia- anyone stayed here?

Hello: This is an old post. Did you stay in this room after all? We're looking at the same room to celebrate our 44th wedding anniversary and I'm a little concerned like you. Also I note they say nothing about any frig/microwave/kitchenette either.

If you have anything to offer I'd appreciate it.

Thank you. Tita, Alameda, Ca.

Dana Point
2. Re: Gateway Lodge Cabin in Sequoia- anyone stayed here?

Hi there,

Yes, we did stay there. Well, the pros are that it is as close as you can stay to the park and there is a little river out front. Decent restaurant compared to elsewhere in the area- there is not much for food choices. The room did feel private. The place is old, the room is small, I don't remember there being a refrigerator. Maybe there was a small one? Definitely no kitchenette. It is a small room with very old decor. My husband really liked the sauna but I thought it was gross and wouldn't go in there. I am a bit of a germaphobe when it comes to hotels though. The problem is that every place we did see in the area looked really old so I don't know how nice any of them are. They're just old, mountainy little lodge type places. Could be charming if they were better taken care of. There was a place next door that looked okay from the outside. I think it was called the Buckeye Lodge. There were a million flys in the room (I think thats true everywhere in the area) so we had to borrower a fly swatter from the front desk. All I can say is- don't have high expectations. But if you are going to experience the beauty of the park then the hotel stay is really secondary. The park absolutely extrodinary. It was also about 20 degrees cooler than the town, blessedly, as it was sweltering when we went in July of 2006. The room had a/c though.

Congrats on your 44th wedding anniversary! Sequoia is worth seeing but the accomodations are humbling and the choices are quite limited. Have fun and I will be interested to hear what you think. If you have any more specific questions I would be happy to answer them.

sfv
3. Re: Gateway Lodge Cabin in Sequoia- anyone stayed here?

stay at the wachsachi lodge for an anniversary. the restaraunt is very nice and right on the river at the gateway but i dont know about the rooms except it has a barbecue pit, i think, a cd player, cable or satellite tv and is a great camping party atmosphere. i am staying there in all three rooms plus the cabin with my family. if you havent already gone, i will post pics or email this site again and let you know. i am going this weekend.

4. Re: Gateway Lodge Cabin in Sequoia- anyone stayed here?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:43 am, October 12, 2009