We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How on earth do I get get there?

Which Three Rivers hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
reviews: 9
How on earth do I get get there?

Can ANYONE please tell me the easiest way for two elderly ladies from Australia to get to see the General Sherman sequoia tree? We have very limited time, and don't know whether it would be best for us to fly direct from Sydney to LA or to SF. We would desperately love to see these trees, and could arrive maybe 24 or 25 May but must be back in LA by 27th.

ANy advice really welcome!!!

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
reviews: 60
1. Re: How on earth do I get get there?

Are you willing to drive? Either LA or SF will work, but one may be slightly closer. I'll defer to others who have actually driven up into Sequoia/Kings Canyon from both locations.

If you don't want to drive the whole way there, you can catch Amtrak to either Fresno or Hanford. As far as I know, you will still have to drive to get into Sequoia/Kings Canyon. Again, I defer to others who have actually tried this.

Airline note - You'll have far more options (Qantas, United, V Australia, Delta) if you fly into LA. If you fly to SF, only Qantas and United are direct. V Australia requires a connection, and Delta does not operate directly between LA and SF for connections. I've heard good things about V Australia...and wasn't a big fan of Qantas when I flew to Australia earlier this year. I'd never subject myself to United for that long of a flight...

Windsor UK
reviews: 7
2. Re: How on earth do I get get there?

We drove to Sequoia from LAX a few years ago.Its about 230 miles and most of the drive is quite easy,using Interstate 5 and CA 99.But depending on what time you leave LA it can take quite a while to reach the interstate.

We left LA about 5pm after a 11 hour flight from London and stopped in Bakersfield on route to Sequoia.On the return we drove striaght back to the airport in LA,i can't remember the drive times exactly but its about 5 hours each way.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
3. Re: How on earth do I get get there?

Probably best way will be to rent a car in LA, drive to Three Rivers may 25, spend may 26 in the park, and drive back LA may 27. It's a great NP and 1 full day already will be short. I would not want to drive right after arrival but stay first night in LA.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
reviews: 87
4. Re: How on earth do I get get there?

If you're asking how to get there without driving, then I believe the only choice you have is to stay in Visalia. There's an Amtrak station in Visalia - and a shuttle.

If, however, you're simply asking how to drive there, it would be a bit faster to fly into Burbank, if possible, rent a car and drive. Head north out of Los Angeles on the 5, taking the 99 through Bakersfield. You get off on the 198 (Signed to Sequoia National Park), go through Three Rivers (maybe you are planning to stay there? - that works) and then up the mountain!

If you go, do take the road to Crescent Meadow as well, where you will see big stands of trees to rival General Sherman. And even before that, you'll have seen trees that are simply amazing.

If you flew to LAX, spent one night recovering, then picked up your car, it would take you a reasonable 5 hours to get to the park the next day. You should have plenty of time. Look into staying in the park (Wuksachi), too.

Fresno, California
5. Re: How on earth do I get get there?

The shuttle to Sequoia from Visalia does not start until the last weekend in May and then runs until the first weekend in September (Memorial Day to Labor Day).

So unfortunately you are travelling too early for that. During the months it operates it provides a nice car-less alternative.

Your choices would be to rent a car at LAX and drive OR take Amtrak to Visalia then rent a car there or OR travel via air or rail to Fresno and rent a car there then enter the park via the Highway 180/Grant Grove entrance.

One other possibility also would be to arrange a guided tour from Three Rivers or Visalia. I can think of Sequoia Tours off the top of my head but someone else might know another.

http://www.sequoiatours.com/

Santa Clarita...
reviews: 4
6. Re: How on earth do I get get there?

If you can get to Visalia, I can highly recommend Sequoia Tours as mentioned in a previous post. We took it a few years ago, and it was an outstanding tour. Paul is warm and friendly, extremely knowledgeable regarding the area, and very accommodating. We learned about the climate zones etc, given ample time at viewing areas and picture taking, and we had lunch at the beautiful Wuksachi lodge dining room (on your own).

The tour was very worthhile and comprehensive; we were sorry to have the day pass so quickly.

www.sequoiatours.com

Fresno, California
7. Re: How on earth do I get get there?

Thanks for adding your info Mere. I've heard good things about Paul and Sequoia Tours locally but since I'm close to the park I have never used it. Glad to see someone post who can give firsthand knowledge.

8. Re: How on earth do I get get there?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, March 19, 2010