We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

stop at sequoia kings canyon on may to vegas

Which Three Rivers hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
boston
reviews: 12
stop at sequoia kings canyon on may to vegas

we will be driving from yosemite to las vegas in second week of july and would like to stop at sequoia / kings canyon and see the general sherman tree and the grant tree as well . assuming i make it to kings canyon around 1 in the afternoon can i see both of these icon trees within say 4 hours so i can make it to the vegas halfway point early enough to shack up for a night ? and good suggestions on where to stay between this park and vegas to do some early morning sightseeing before heading on to vegas ???

Jay

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
reviews: 41
1. Re: stop at sequoia kings canyon on may to vegas

Is your timetable firm?

Unfortunately, on this route you will miss out on much of the Yosemite high country, Tioga Pass, Mono Lake, and the eastern Sierra including Mammoth and Mt. Whitney. But you can see Death Valley.

Take 99 south to 58 and follow the directions toward Las Vegas, but turn off for Mojave and Ridgecrest to go to Death Valley. This is not a couple hours' side trip; it's best if you can at least stay over one night to fully enjoy the park.

The DV and DVNP forums have a variety of suggested itineraries and sights to see. Be aware that it will be very warm in July, but much more comfortable than Las Vegas with its artifically altered climate and elevated humidity.

If you have to go direct to Las Vegas, enjoy beautiful, scenic, and restful Bakersfield, Mojave, Boron, Barstow, and Baker (home of a truly stupendous work of aesthetic and engineering achievement, the world's tallest thermometer--134' high in honor of the highest recorded Fahrenheit temperature in Death Valley). Maybe some of the devotees of those gardens of delight will come forward with suggestions to liven up your visits to their quaint and charming towns. Honestly, the best scenery is between towns, when you get to see the desert with the wide-open spaces and sweeping vistas of the mountains.

boston
2. Re: stop at sequoia kings canyon on may to vegas

my time table is not firm . i am leaving san francisco early morning july 5th and hitting the road . i would like to be in vegas on the 8th with stops at yosemite and sequoia in between . ive never been anywhere in california or southwestern US . im just trying to find some good sights and photo oppertunities after leaving san fran . i will have all day on the 5th , 6th , 7th and morning of the 8th to sightsee on the way to vegas . any suggestions on a route or game plan . im open to any ideas to make the most of it

Encinitas...
reviews: 30
3. Re: stop at sequoia kings canyon on may to vegas

Basically...no you can't do what you want.

The parks take a lot longer to drive through than you would think because they are all switchbacks and that time of year, they will be crowded.

Slow down and enjoy Sequoia, hike a little, and just stay nearby that night. Kings Canyon & Sequoia are so vast you could stay much longer. Just be sure to be out of the park before dark as the driving is tough after dark. You could stay then in the 3 rivers area.

boston
4. Re: stop at sequoia kings canyon on may to vegas

ive decided to stay 1 night in or near the park . any good suggestions for what town to stay in ?? i'll be coming from yosemite and plan on seeing one of the 2 trees (grant or sherman) before checking into a room

5. Re: stop at sequoia kings canyon on may to vegas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 pm, August 10, 2009