We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Woman traveling alone, any advice

Which Santa Fe hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cliffside Park, New...
Woman traveling alone, any advice

I am a first time visitor and would appreciate any advice. I am thinking of going to Santa Fe in November. Since I am traveling alone, I would prefer not to rent a car. I enjoy walking and understand that Santa Fe is a walking town. Is a week too long a time? I love history, interesting architecture, music, national monuments. I don't consider myself a shopper, but wouldn't mind seeing local crafts. As I am trying to avoid renting a car, are there any bus tours for daily trips to Taos or Bandelier? If so, do you feel I would not get enough out of going on just a day tour of say Taos, should I bite the bullet and rent a car and stay in Taos? Thanks for any opinions!

9 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Heidelberg
reviews: 27
1. Re: Woman traveling alone, any advice

You could do a week in SF, esp. with your interests. But the beauty of NM is the landscape. For Taos, its not so much Taos per se, but the ride there (high road and low road). ALso Chimayo, Abiquiu, Bandelier, etc.

Santa Fe, NM
reviews: 5
2. Re: Woman traveling alone, any advice

Santa Fe is definitely a walking town, but if you're here for a week, I suggest a car to get out into the countryside. There are a few companies that offer trips to Taos and Bandelier- Great Southwest Adventures has a 4 person minimum and that time of year it might be iffy. Santa Fe Walkabouts will do a one-person trip- but it's a but pricey as it's an 8-hour day to Taos. They also do guided hikes as does Outspire Hiking. I disagree with the comment above- the High Road is a beautiful trip, but there's plenty to see and do in Taos. You'll get to Chimayo if you do a High Road to Taos trip- it's one of the highlights.

Edmond, OK
reviews: 19
3. Re: Woman traveling alone, any advice

It seems the car rental is your main question here - Santa Fe and Taos are farther apart than they appear on the map. A day trip to Taos is definitely worth it, whether you go on your own and on a tour. Are you flying into Albuquerque or directly into Santa Fe? If it's into Santa Fe, you can easily get around without a car; especially if you stay near the Plaza area. Albuquerque presents different problems. As mentioned before, a week without transportation to see some of the outlying areas may be a bit long.

November is a lovely time of the year to go to Santa Fe and Taos, hope you have a wonderful trip!

Cliffside Park, New...
4. Re: Woman traveling alone, any advice

Thanks for the responses. I haven't booked a flight yet, but I would fly into Santa Fe. I would stay near the Plaza area. My main question was about renting the car. I didn't want to have to worry about a long drive by myself and also having to pay a lot for daily parking if I was only going to use the car for one or two days. I don't have to go for a week, I could go for a shorter period.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
reviews: 34
5. Re: Woman traveling alone, any advice

Very few flights come into Santa Fe, mostly from Texas and Los Angeles, possibly Denver. You probably will need to fly into Albuquerque then take a shuttle or rent a car. Many hotels in Santa Fe have free parking. Maybe just rent a car in Santa Fe for a day to drive to Taos.

Cliffside Park, New...
6. Re: Woman traveling alone, any advice

Yes, I saw I would be flying thru Denver into Santa Fe. That's a great idea to rent a car just for a day. Thanks!!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
reviews: 34
7. Re: Woman traveling alone, any advice

You can get a shuttle or cab from Santa Fe airport to your hotel, then rent car when you need it. www.santafe.org will have tons of information for you on planning what to do and where to go!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
reviews: 54
8. Re: Woman traveling alone, any advice

If you plan on a weekday overnight in Taos ... One can, ride the (free) Northern NM Transit bus... It is a tax supported service, Lotsa stops,slow,with one transfer in Espanola... Get around Taos, on the town's system & return on the "blue bus" next day... carracar

Santa Fe, New Mexico
9. Re: Woman traveling alone, any advice

A week is never too long in Santa Fe. Once you're here, you'll find that there is so much to do and see that you won't want to leave! For different ideas on tours, itineraries, restaurants, markets, etc, visit our website at www.santafe.org. Enjoy your visit!

Reply to: Woman traveling alone, any advice
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted